advertisement
from the Automation List department...
MDLC Protocol
Human-Machine Interface and SCADA. topic
Posted by Luis Carillo on 1 February, 2002 - 9:46 am
Im trying to connect a Motorola MOSCAD-L with CIMPLICITY HMI. Does anyone knows a protocol converter that let me connect. The Moscad use the MDLC protocol and I want to connect to this device.

Posted by Dave Smith on 1 February, 2002 - 2:15 pm
Motorola has modbus and allen bradley (PLC and SLC) drivers for the MOSCAD L RTU. Contact your local Moscad agent

Posted by Garrett, James P on 1 February, 2002 - 3:12 pm
Luis,
MDLC is a proprietary protocol developed by Motorola. Unfortunately, there is no 'direct' protocol converter software available due to the fact that some of the MDLC functions are performed in hardware. However, you can use another L at the HMI end to convert the data to Modbus, DNP3, or whatever dialect necessary to connect to your HMI. Also there is an Ethernet adapter available to allow connectivity that way. A third alternative is the Motorola MCT-P which allows protocol conversion from MDLC to TCPIP.

Jim Garrett
BGE

Posted by Tommy France on 8 February, 2002 - 3:13 pm
If you are interested in putting a Modicon device on a motorola Moscad trunking system, I have a way to make it transparent to the user and without
having to purchase from Motorola. If this fits your application, send me an email (francet@squared.com) , and I'll put you in touch with the right people.

Posted by BluesMan on 19 March, 2002 - 12:13 pm
Wonderware InTouch has a driver to MOSCAD and you won't need any conversion to do it.

BM

Posted by Abdulla on 21 May, 2007 - 10:59 pm
MDLC is Motorola protocol between difference RTUs and FIUs via radio or somthing else. But if you are trying to communicate to MOSCAD, it is better to use Port1 or Port2 with RS-232 directly with Modbus protocol and Modbus addresses.

Your use of this site is subject to the terms and conditions set forth under Legal Notices and the Privacy Policy. Please read those terms and conditions carefully. Subject to the rights expressly reserved to others under Legal Notices, the content of this site and the compilation thereof is © 1999-2014 Nerds in Control, LLC. All rights reserved.

Users of this site are benefiting from open source technologies, including PHP, MySQL and Apache. Be happy.

Fortune
God may be subtle, but He isn't plain mean.
-- Albert Einstein
Advertise here
advertisements
View free setup and multi-vendor EtherCAT demo videos online
Servo, stepping motor control, analog & web HMI in one system!
Time to incorporate data handling, web HMI and motion in one system!
164-page eBook free download - EtherCAT Applications Guide
Servo, steppers, analog, digital & web HMI - Fully Integrated!
our advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive