Is it a good career move to learn plc programming?

B

Brian Davis

I am a technician that has currently worked with motor controls for 13 months. I have an A.S. in E.E.T and was curious about learning PlC programming for possible career growth. I own a Automation Direct D05 with Directlogic software. My main questions are: Is this a good plc to learn from? Will learning plc programming in a non-work environment be of any value to employers? Is Directlogic software a well used software in the controls industry?

You will probably come to realize quickly that anything extra you can learn will be beneficial to career growth. I have found in the past five years and especially now in such a lean job market that becoming a "swiss army knife" opens many doors and increases job security.

If the Automation Direct PLC & SW is what you have handy it would be OK to start with. The best learning PLC in my opinoin would be an Allen-Bradley SLC 500 series or PLC-5 with RsLogix software. They are staight forward and for the most part user friendly, not to mention the one of the most commonly used in industry. There are many other brands that would work also..

After you become proficient in PLC programming, look into HMI programming, networking, Visual Basic, Databases... The list goes on... The more you can learn the more attractive your resume will look...

T
Brian a really good place to start might be "http://www.thelearningpit.com/":http://www.thelearningpit.com/

Also, a little bit of ordinary computer programming education is of great benefit, it will teach you how to break down problems and organize your software, and it will be a great help with HMI software. While the PLCdirect stuff is sometimes used in heavy industry, it is not widely accecpted. However it is a good place to start learning on a shoestring budget. The Learning Pit has AB PLC simulators, use those rather than invest in a personal AB PLC and software. Good luck.

I find myself in a unique position which would probably reflect on what you are considering.

I do not have a degree, but yet I have EXTENSIVE experience with PC's, networking, programming, etc. It's always been an addiction of mine . . . The fact that I do not have a degree has always closed a lot of doors to me and left my PC/programming skills somewhat undervalued from a financial aspect.

However, as my current employment I hired on as an industrial maintenance technician doing mechanical, electrical, etc. and PLC work is pretty much a natural extension of what I already know.

I have found that, by demonstrating my increasing PLC and controls ability, my word and my pay have been increasing in weight. I have also been allowed to focus more and more on the electrical/controls/PLC end of things, which is fine with me, as I would rather not "grease-monkey" if I did not have to.

Industrial communities have found themselves to have no choice but to purchase electronically controlled equipment as they make their necessary repairs and upgrades, and so they are forced to listen to someone with knowledge of these systems when they have problems.

I am pursuing my PLC education full bore now, needless to say, and am beginning work on HMI and SCADA, and the prospects look very positive at this point. So, should you learn plc programming? My answer:

YES