DeltaV ?

M

Mike

Has anyone in here used DeltaV? If so how similar is it to the traditional PLC lets say like Allen Bradley?

W
The Delta V is a DCS not a PLC. Therefore there is significant differences between the two. Delta V very good at real time analogue control, has a large number of specific applications for different processes. Not so good with fast digital 100msec scan times. System is configured not programmed. As a concequence lower implementation costs. Has all the features in configuration, alarming, trending and report generation. Has links to business applications like SAP etc. More expensive than any PLC but also much smarter and more flexible.
PLC is programmed, good at digital cannot do advanced analogue control. OK for standard PID. However the more you do the slower it gets. Has the advantage that just about any electrician can do ladder logic. Requires a good 3rd party SCADA package for Operator interface.

Regards

Wynton

A

Arnold Dillon

We've done a couple of jobs with the Delta-V system. The way you handle the hardware is similar to a PLC, but the software is quite a bit different than a conventional PLC. The ProcessLogix system by Allen-Bradley is probably a bit closer to it.

Contact me directly if you like and we can discuss some specifics.

-Arnold Dillon
I.C. Thomasson Associates
615-346-3400

G

George Robertson

Very cool! It is more like Genesis or Paragon for it's programming language than ladder. The big difference is the appearance of a single
database. You drag and drop a PID from the controller to the GUI and all the links are DONE! Pick a faceplate, and go to town.

Basically, it's not so much like a PLC. Think DCS, with Windows look and feel, and without requiring a masters in computer science to
decipher.

(No, I don't work for Emerson. Heck, I don't even get kickbacks from Emerson! Come to think of it, I don't even have a Delta V mousepad!
Let's get with it, guys!)

George G. Robertson, P.E.
Manager of Engineering
Saulsbury E & C
[email protected]
(915) 366-4252

M

M. Harisman - Integra Teknik

We have implemented two DeltaV 5.x system.

DeltaV is a Small-DCS system. So, it's consist of integrated PC (DeltaV Software) and Controller (DeltaV Controller).

DeltaV software consist of Intellution iFix engine as MMI, OSI PI as historian, and some DeltaV software module (Explorer, Studio, ProPlus, Application Station, Operator Station, etc.), where the DeltaV Controller configuration and programming is done via DeltaV software.

So, you could not just buy the DeltaV Controller stand-alone as you buy the traditional stand-alone PLC/RTU.

Please visit http://www.easydeltav.com to get the latest information.

M. Harisman harisman(AT)integrateknik.com

G

George Robertson

Wow, this is right off somebody's brochure!

Pray tell, what is the difference between a DCS and a PLC (Emerson claims the Delta-V is neither)

Where does the Delta V fall down aith 100 msec scan times on digitals?

What is the difference between configuring and programming?

As to PLCs not being able to do advanced analogue control, please elaborate.

I will give you points for the comment about 3rd party SCADA package requirements. That's the big difference between Delta-V (which is a Hybrid, please forgive me, Emerson) and a PLC MMI combination. It doesn't take nearly so long to program, er, configure with the apparently common database.

George G. Robertson, P.E.
Manager of Engineering
Saulsbury E & C
[email protected]
(915) 366-4252

J
There are some differences.
- PLC is open so you may choose any HMI that you or the customer prefers. The same goes for other software components.
- PLC with open control-level network (such as Modbus/RTU, Modbus/TCP, Profibus, DeviceNet/ControlNet) means lots of third party equipment such as display panels etc. is available. Similarly other equipment such as variable speed drives can be connected directly to the control-level network without additional modules or gateways etc.
- PLC can usually have relay output
- PLC usually has ladder diagram, in addition to other languages, so you can see logic executing
- PLC can have remote I/O

Jonas Berge
==================
[email protected]
www.smar.com

J
DeltaV is PAS, Process Automation System and has features of DCS like Global Database, Integral Operator Interface, Communications and Alarm Management. DeltaV has features too of PLC Like scalable system can grow from 25 I/O to 30.000 I/O, robust,Remote, Class 1 Division 2 cards.

DeltaV has Redundant controller, power supply and I/O Cards and all of them are hotswap.

DeltaV can integrate Foundation fieldbus, Profibus DP, Modbus, AS-I Bus and Devicenet in the same platform and in the same control strategy.

I think DeltaV is the most powerful, flexible, easy and cost effective Process control System.

JORGE PAEZ
INSTRUMENTOS & CONTROLES

The early Delta V systems actually came with a t-shirt, now they don't even come with an ugly dell mousepad. In all fairness, in the early days, it wasn't worth a t-shirt, now, as a system, it's a joy to work with.

I just completed a large DV project in south america with scads of serial devices, the project originated from a one page spec and could have turned out to be a huge disaster. The ease of use of the system turned it into a huge success, within a sort period of time onsite, I had brazilian operators performing the bulk of my loop checking with very little supervision.

My only suggestion for anyone planning to work with Delta V, do yourself a favor and enroll in one of their classes. The system is simple enough to learn without the any formal training, however without the training you will probably just be scratching the surface of it's capabilies.

And I don't work for emerson either.

[email protected]

D

devrim pakkan

hi guys,

DeltaV simply stands in btw FAST DEDICATED PLCs and OLD ROBUST BIG DCSs.

It has the advantage of PLCs and DCSs. So rank it as a Digital Automation System working with almost any standards.

The biggest advantage for the client is dealing with one big vendor for hard ware\software\services\total solutions and also field instruments.

If your are aware how valuable is your product (USD\kg) you want to have it through one complete tested system. Customer may have preferences about HMI without knowing what is proposed, they should consider upgrades and services coming from ONE vendor. Globalization also occurs in automation sector, we have left with 5-10 big companies. This number is decreasing so stay inline with the emerging technologies. Make smart investments.

Regards
devrim pakkan

First of all I do not work for EMERSON
Deltav is really good system with no bugs as u can find in most of the DCS System available in market,even those are very expensive.

Deltav can handle more n more IO counts as compaire to others.
as u can easily upgrade ur system with jsut adding IO count license
it just like playing around Windows,just you can do anythign wt ever logic,Faceplate,graphic you can imagine u can do it very easily
it works with most of the 3rd party systems like mrk5,mostof the PLCs etc
so guys i recommend DELTAV System.

www.deltavexpert.com