Online changes in Control Logix

B

bwilliams

Is it possible to do online changes with Ladder and Function Blocks in RS logix and the Control Logix?

Yes It is possible to make the Changes in COntrolLogix Ladder. But if the System has Redundant Processors Architecture. I guess the Version of the RSLogix which is supported till now is 8.89, In which it is not possible to make the Changes Online. I believe that in version 12 or 13 of RSLogix, (A Redundancy version 12 or 13 Of RSLogix) has this facility to make the Online Changes in the Function Blocks as well.

SFCs & STLS are Not yet supported in Redundant Version (Till Version 13 is released).

L
it's definately possible to edit ladder online with RSLogix5000 (control logix editing software)

i expect the same is true for function blocks as well

N

nedohin-macek

You can do onine edits with ControlLogix and RSLogix 5000 but you cannot do online Function Block Changes.

Hope this helps.

Julian Nedohin-Macek
Winnipeg

Yes. In fact, you can even have multiple programmers online making multiple edits. We did this on the last CLX project. Do this with extreme care.

T

Trevor Ousey \(list\)

Online changes in Ladder is not a problem (some limitations). But Function Blocks (FBD), Structured Text (ST) and SFC are generally offline only, but with the later versions some online functionality will be added.

Yes, the Control Logix platform will allow you to perform online changes. With the producer/consumer model of the ControlNet architecture you can even have multiple terminals online with the same controller.

There are some things that you cannot do while online such as changing memory that is in use. This could cause unexpected results, therefore it is not allowed.

Actually, tags can be created/deleted online. Going on line when the laptop program doesn't quite match the online program is also possible without uploading. If the laptop program is not significantly different from the online program, you can just go on line and the programs will synchronize. At some point (I don't know what defines this) the program will require a download (Controllogix will provide a message telling you this). I have had up to 9 separate laptops connected (via 10baseT ethernet) online making edits at one time on a single Controllogix processor, but it is normal to be kicked off line several times in a day with this kind of activity. I don't recommend more than a few people being online with the same processor on a running machine. We found that if you make edits in a routine that someone else is on line with, once you accept the edits, it is likely to kick the other person off-line. Just make sure that everyone plays in their own space.

An aside, when Controllogix opens a file, it creates numerous larger working files in a temporary file location on the laptop (in the user's 'Local Settings' folder). My last project required program files that were over 15MB. The temporary files used up more than 120MB in a temp folder when Controllogix was operating. If Controllogix crashes (which happened frequently), it just accumulated these temp files and created new ones when I restarted the program. After a number of crashes, I found that my laptop started running incredibly slow (~15 minutes to start Controllogix). I discovered that the expected free HD space of about 1.5GB was now at less than 1MB. I had over 1.3 GB of leftover Controllogix files in my local folder. If your PC crashes for whatever reason, it will help your performance to clean this temp folder out once in a while.

--
C. Thomas Wiesen
[email protected]

A
With the new releases of RSLogix 5000 which i believe is version 11 or 12 one can do online edits of FBD but there are some limitation on creating new tags.

Version 16 allows you to online edit ladder logic, function blocks and sequential function charts.