advertisement
from the Looking for a Rosetta stone department...
Any references on how to read 984 style ladder logic?
PLCs and related questions. topic
Posted by David Campbell on 21 January, 2004 - 12:09 pm
A customer has asked us to implement an operator training simulator which includes what appears to be an aging Modicon PLC for motor control (print-out dates to Oct 1999, the PLC rack has had a processor upgrade around that time).

I am more familar with the IEC 61131-3 standard and I have already investigated the posibility of trying to convert the ProWorx database to a Concept database but there appears to be no easy migration path (please correct me if I am wrong).

Any pointers to some documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 January, 2004 - 7:32 pm
Modicon 984ll does not solve in a rung by rung format.

A program can have 32 segments
You can have up to thousands of networks per segment.
One network consists of 7 x 11 nodes.
A node contains on contact or coil.
Some instructions can take two or three nodes.

The gotcha here is that the solve order is not left to right and row by row. The solve order is column by column.

Another gotcha is that Modicon has a strange legacy of not requiring power flow to a block to have it actually function.

Good luck.

Posted by Bradley Hite on 22 January, 2004 - 7:37 pm
Hello David,

The conversion might or might not be possible. If the Modicon system is a 984 based system then you are out of luck because Concept does not support the 984 controllers. If the system is a Quantum based system then you can just upload the ladder logic into Concept's 984LL editor.

Bradley G. Hite
Intertech Inc
mailto:bhite@myplc.com
Teaching Practical Skills for a Technological World

Posted by Fernando Capelari on 22 January, 2004 - 7:37 pm
That's right, there is not a conversion tool from Proworx projects to Concept projects.

In fact, even if it would exist, there is not a way to convert 984 Ladder Logic to IEC Ladder Diagram.
So, the unique choice is convert the application "manually"...

But keep in mind that this is not true just for Modicon PLCs, I would say that it happens for all PLCs in the market.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 January, 2004 - 7:52 pm
The 984 ladder logic should be straight forward. If it is used for a motor control system probably very few function blocks are being used.

Feel free to contact me and I can give you some assistance to get you going.

j_markward@hotmail.com

Posted by Pablo Carbajal on 10 January, 2013 - 7:59 pm
Hi, do you mind if I ask you a question?

I have a 984 printout which seems pretty straightforward, except that, besides the "regular" normally open or normally closed contacts such as ---] [--- or ---]/[---, I have this:

--N]/[---

and also

--N] [---

What is the meaning of the "N"?

Thank you,
Pablo

Posted by Kevin on 11 January, 2013 - 1:37 pm
I thought this to be the case, and indeed I confirmed it with an old hand in Modicon. they are Negative transitional contacts. An old Modicon 584 book describes them this way: "Transitional Contacts pass power for one scan whenever the discrete inputs to which they are referenced change to the proper state, either OFF to ON or ON to OFF."

Posted by Anonymous on 24 January, 2004 - 4:23 pm
Go to www.modicon.com and download from the Quantum or Compact or Momentum directories the manuals 'Modicon 984 Ladder Logic Block Library'. These detail the operation of all available commands in 984 ladder logic.

Your use of this site is subject to the terms and conditions set forth under Legal Notices and the Privacy Policy. Please read those terms and conditions carefully. Subject to the rights expressly reserved to others under Legal Notices, the content of this site and the compilation thereof is © 1999-2014 Nerds in Control, LLC. All rights reserved.

Users of this site are benefiting from open source technologies, including PHP, MySQL and Apache. Be happy.

Fortune
We don't know who discovered water, but we're certain it wasn't a
fish.
Advertise here
Advertisement
our advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive