Controllers for Capacitor Start Motors

• Thread starter Clueless Research Assistant
  • Start date
C

Clueless Research Assistant

I need some basic information on capacitor start electric motors. i have a motor that I know nothing about and want to know if i can use it and how to control it.

The motor I came upon is a Dayton 5K470 capacitor Start Jet Pump Motor. I am trying to control a shaft that runs an oil pump, and I need to be able to control rpm. I don't know what type of controller is used for this motor, nor do I know what kind of motor it is. I understand the basic funstion of the capacitor start, but I don't understand how this may affect the control of the motor. Any help is appreciated as I am a lowly mechanical engineering research assistant who doesn't know much about electronics or electric motors. Thanks.

Check an industrial mail-order catalog like Grainger for a single-phase motor speed controller.

Triac based speed controllers work quite well with single phase capacitor start /run induction motors. Try to find a triac based speed controller that matches the power rating of your motor. For fractional HP and motors up to a few KW this should not be a problem.