Siemens s5 / s7 online training

S

s.mcguinness

Does anyone know any good sites with online siemens training or even any good books that would assist my training with siemens s5 / s7 programming? I'm an apprentice and i'm trying to pick up a good understanding as early as possible. thanks.

I do not know about online training.

But I can recommend you the books written by HANS BERGER. Generally, the title is “Automating with …”. There are different books for different programming languages (STL, LAD, SCL, etc). I highly recommend these books! All of them have a floppy with examples. (Prices, as I know, are around $70 each.)

These books will answer any question and solve any problem. However, if you want to learn S5/S7 in an efficient manner (good enough / fast enough) I recommend you get training or the help from an experienced person.
Recommendation: Since you are an “apprentice” (I suppose a young person), focus on S7. Siemens already announced that will discontinue S5 and production is limited right know to spares for existing projects.

ValRo

thanks, currently i am recieving on-site training which is great but it means i am "in the deep end" all the programs are very complicated and i need a starting point. the reason i am interested in s5 is because the factory where i work is mainly using s5 at the moment but also s7 is starting to become more common so i totally agree with u but i would like a good knowledge of both. thanks for your help!! ;o)

W

wirebitersmith

Is there anyone who knows where I can find the official announcement from Siemens about discontinuing the S5 line? I am trying to avoid another problem by NOT installing another TXP system!! Thanks.

Is there a place where I can get a complete list of the abbreviations used in STL of S7?

Thank you.

C

Curt Wuollet

Amazingly, I found all the S7 manuals, with a pretty good discussion on STL, in the Siemens website. I was so shocked to find useful information for free from a vendor, that I forgot to praise them. So, I will do so at this opportunity. !!Kudos Siemens!! Who knows, with the information I need, I may someday come to like their product. The list is also in their online help, but I had an extremely difficult time finding it.

Regards

cww

S

Shahid Waqas Chaudhry

Try http://www.ad.siemens.com/supporte

It is the support website of Siemens. You can download the instruction list for the a particular CPU (S7-300 or S7-400). Otherwise, you can purchase it in form of a *very* handy pocket book.

Best Regards,
Shahid Waqas Chaudhry

B
It's relatively easy to find in their software package if you look enough.

I have to give Siemens some credit as well. The S7-200 software and associated documentation is top notch.

The S7-300/400 stuff still has a ways to go IMO, but its leaps and bounds better than the stuff for the S5.

It may explain part of the reason they have been able to improve their market position in the US the last few years.

I still wish their website was organized to make it easier to find stuff, but their online tech support people are pretty quick to come up with a link to anything you need if you do an online request for help.