Remote Data Logging

J

James, William

I have a need to do some isolated temperature data logging. Since I have available an I-PAQ pocket PC, I would like to use it as the data collector. Is anyone aware of any manufacturer that makes a stand alone thermocouple temperature data logger with pocket PC connectability and collection software that loads on a pocket PC?

Regards,
Bill James

B

bobby rooprai

Lookout has a software for a standard pc. I am sure they have something for a pocket pc as well. Try searching under LOOKOUT on the web.

J
I haven't seen anything like that. Sounds like cost is an issue?

Here's one idea:
- Small PLC with thermocouple inputs (or signal conditioner and plain analog inputs)
- Program that periodically updates registers with temperature values (picture a rolling queue)
- "Transmit" pushbutton that sends the data through a built-in serial port on the PLC

On the Pocket PC you'd need either a terminal emulator program that can save (capture) the dumped data. Or you could get me to custom write an app to receive the data and dump it in a text file.

The PLC would have a realtime clock (programmed or real) and each data point would include the clock value for your tracking purposes.

For $$ you could get an Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1200 plus a 4-channel thermocouple module. For about half as much you could get a cheap cheap cheap Koyo PLC, programming software, and 4-channel thermocouple module.

Good luck, hope this is helpful info and let me know if you need help.

Jim Zupich
[email protected]

B
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I prefer the PLC approach, but in a hospital environment the constraints are somewhat unique. The person who will collect the data from several remote campuses has no technical knowledge and currently carries a Pocket PC as part of his QC function. I needed an HMI for a clerk, not a technician.

FYI I did finally locate a system by Veriteq that uses a Palm PC as a collector, but it is pricy.