Modsoft over Windows Xp

D

David

Hello,

I'm trying to find out how can i communicate with modicon plc via the modsoft program but over Windows Xp (on Windows 98 it is working good).

We have already tried using a virtuale machine of VMware
and it seem that program can't open the serial port.
please help it's very urgent.

Thanks

David

B
I am successfully using Modsoft V2.62 on Windows XP with Modbus Plus communications.

Have not tried serial with XP but with Windows NT the only method was to use Modbus ASCII communications. Is this possible?

L
David,
The Modsoft needs to connect directly with the serial port in order to function. Xp will not allow this. Every comm packet has to be handled by the Xp kernel, that's what's crashing your attempts. The only cure is an upgrade on the software to an Win2000/Xp compatible version or falling back to 98.

Lance

I am using Modbus TCP by using an Ethernet to serial bridge that supports Modbus TCP (DIGI IA, or Schneider)I have a preference for DIGI IA because i am using the same serial cable as before for the PLC serial COM cable . On the serial side of your PLC, the serial cable is hooked up to the serial side of the bridge and on the user side is an Ethernet cable (crossover cable if your directly connected to the bridge or a standard cable if your bridge is on a network ) Please read the README.txt under \modsoft\vsl and the REL_NOTE.26 or .262 under \modsoft to enable TCP/IP with DOS

I tested it with Win 95-98-2000 and XP

T

Tor Ljunggren

Dear Denis,

Very interesting for a Modsoft-fan!
Are You using "Digi One SP IA" part #70001999?
Is it easy to configure?

Bye from Sweden

A

Automation Linse

He must mean the Digi One IAP, as the "SP" and "IA" do NOT bridge Modbus/TCP to Modbus/RTU. The lower cost "SP" or "IA" could be used with the Digi RealPort driver and ModSoft would see your PLC as say COM5 or COM9 (you define which number). The "IAP" is required to MODIFY the bytes as they flow between Ethernet and Serial

Datasheet is here:
http://www.digi.com/products/externaldeviceservers/digioneiap.jsp

The "How to setup Modbus Bridging" app note is here:
ftp://ftp1.digi.com/support/applicationguides/90000638_a.pdf

Best Regards
- Lynn A Linse, www.digi.com (Ethernet to Serial Experts)

Dear... from Sweden

I am using DIGI IAP p/n 70001777.
DIGI has implemented a new version(Ver. E) of the firmware that requires more configuration than the older Version D. but still work very well.

A
I am also looking for a solution to RUN MODSOFT on P4 Notebook with WinXP Home edition through serial port or Ethernet port. Can you write me in detail how I over come with this matter?

waiting for your early response.

G

Greg Chamberland

Hi All,

Modsoft WILL RUN under windows 2000 AND XP via software Direct-io found at http://www.direct-io.com which takes control of the serial port. Easy to setup, specify I/O address, IRQ, and program used, (modsoft). Program automatically starts when Modsoft starts. Very slick.

Greg

Hi All,

I tried the direct i/o program but did not get it to work. I get the same function as white out the program.
The modbus lamp flashes on the CPU but the program times out.

Any one that got it to work that can explain hove the configured it.

Martin

S
Dear Friends,
Just to add to your experience ....
I have successfully been able to run Modsoft ver 2.61 on Windows 2000 professional.
I have not tried with Windows XP. But probably it should work.

Regards
S.Mukherjee
India

Believe it or not you can run modsoft on XP. ModbusPlus works fine. I think that Modbus doesn't and I'm working on the ethernet. I think the ethernet will work because 2.62 gives the option to configure a NOE 771 00 card. Probably needs some loadable.

Installation with disks is a nightmare. The guy at Schnieder says it can work if you make a shortcut to modsoft.exe or the dos window and change its memory settings, but I haven't been able to get that to work. All I did was copy the C:\modsoft directory from another directory and it worked. I had to play with some options on the SA85 control panel

Joe Bishop

I have a program that makes Modsoft work just fine on WinXP serial ports.

It uses TCP/IP communications to localhost which then communicates out the serial port. Sort of like a built-in NOE module.

It is free to anyone that wants it.

Anyone interested can e-mail me jeffadler @ qwest. net

Hi,

The problem may be with the laptop or com port settings. Old DOS based programs access the RS232 port directly and look for the following addresses:

Mem IRQ
COM1 0x3F8 - 0x3FF 4
COM2 0x2F8 - 0x2FF 3
COM3 0x3E8 - 0x3EF 4
COM4 0x2E8 - 0x2EF 3

Also some laptops don't use the correct voltages for the logic levels.

Level Transmitter Receiver
Space state (0) +5 ... +15 +3 ... +25
Mark state (1) -5 ... -15 -3 ... -25
Undefined - -3 ... +3

If the hardware settings are ok, you could try making a MSDOS boot CD with Modsoft on the CD and running Modsoft from the MSDOS.

Kevin

I know this is an old thread....

Like another person mentioned, Modsoft will run on XP... like he mentioned, using http://www.direct-io.com/

Download the software, configure it as per their knowledgebase (serial settings) and that's it... easy, cheap, and works wonders.

Mark