advertisement
from the Automation List department...
Tiny PLC
PLCs and related questions. topic
Posted by Kurt Schneider on 14 January, 2005 - 9:51 am
Does anyone make a PLC that could be mounted on a PCB that is 1 inch square or smaller to control 5VDC devices? All I need is purely digital I/O and some internal timers.

Posted by Mark Bayern on 14 January, 2005 - 3:33 pm
Sounds more like a job for a single chip micro -- have you looked at the Microchip line of microcontrollers?

Posted by Ken E. on 19 January, 2005 - 10:05 pm
Also, the Atmel AVR is a nice single chip FLASH controller. It is competitive to the PIC, but I like their product line better. I've succesfully used a GNU (Open source) "C" Compiler ported to AVR. I haven't used it in quite a while though.

~Ken

Posted by Joe Jansen/ENGR/HQ/KEMET/US on 21 January, 2005 - 7:03 pm
Check out this website: Ladder logic compiler for a PIC microcontroller

http://cq.cx/ladder.pl

--Joe Jansen

Posted by Curt Wuollet on 15 January, 2005 - 9:36 am
They call that a microprocessor and the language, assembler, greatly resembles IL. Seriously. You can also get uPs that you can program in higher level languages. I haven't seen a RLL chip, but it's certainly doable, just little demand. Of course, a $5 uP from the automation folks would be $325 and an oblate spheroid geometry so it would only fit their $100 sockets. See if you can't do what you need with a PIC, a Rabbit or an old Z80. Getting it down to 1 chip is kinda limiting but they are out there.

Regards
cww

Posted by Michael Griffin on 15 January, 2005 - 9:38 am
Try a PIC chip or a Basic Stamp. The Basic Stamp is a PIC with a basic interpreter ROMMed in and mounted on a very small daughter board. There are
other daughter board micro-controller solutions as well.

Posted by William Sturm on 15 January, 2005 - 4:20 pm
http://www.divelbiss.com/products/controller/progcont.html

Posted by Luc on 16 January, 2005 - 7:18 pm
http://www.lextronic.fr/Comfile/tiny/tinye.htm

Cheap (about 20), ladderdiagram programming (included)....

Posted by Malcolm Ritchie on 6 April, 2005 - 2:56 pm
Try a resistor, you could duct tape it to the PCB

Posted by Tomy Zacharia on 17 January, 2005 - 8:56 am
Dear Kurt,
Such devices are known as microcontrollers. As you have to control 5 VDC devices, the same can be done with open collector or TTL outputs. A full
blown PLC might be overkill and very big. The smallest PLC I have seen measured 8x10 cm without the power supply. The specs were 5 vdc 8 nos. DO/DI.

Regards,
Tomy Zacharia

Your use of this site is subject to the terms and conditions set forth under Legal Notices and the Privacy Policy. Please read those terms and conditions carefully. Subject to the rights expressly reserved to others under Legal Notices, the content of this site and the compilation thereof is © 1999-2014 Nerds in Control, LLC. All rights reserved.

Users of this site are benefiting from open source technologies, including PHP, MySQL and Apache. Be happy.

Fortune
A dozen, a gross, and a score,
Plus three times the square root of four,
Divided by seven,
Plus five times eleven,
Equals nine squared plus zero, no more.
Advertise here
Advertisement
our advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive