Wago 750-842

B

bla_madrid

Hi, a simple one for the experts.

I have read the manual and I don't understand a word. I've been working with asp.net for a very long time.

My Wago 750-842 has an application that reads 12 analogue values and places them in %IW 1 to 12 and 1 digital with output location %QX13.0 TO 13.1.

I have the Wago sample application that comes with the MADBUS TCP DLL cd and I would like to read 13 WORDS, but I don't know which memory location I should point to - in order to read the info already present in the WAGO device.

Thanks in advance and forgive the ignorance.

M

Michal Casterline

At the risk of starting another war, I feel compelled to share my experiences.

I was involved with a very large project a few years ago which used a lot of Wago devices. The design involved at least a hundred Wago nodes in junction boxes below deck plates that the operators stood on.

After firmware and hardware upgrades, reliability was still so poor they eventually cut holes in the deck plates, holes in the junction boxes, and RTV'd plexiglass over the JB holes simply so they could see the error indicators before they had to call the millwrights.

Sadly, there was one instance where that didn't even help. The first red light (InterBus) should have been the defective node, but it wasn't. Think about how long THAT took to figure out.

I don't pretend to know the ins-and-outs of what companies were actually involved with the design or manufacture of the Wago stuff, but they carried the Wago name.

When confronted with the reliability problems, the rep assured me that they had been used in Polaris submarines. Fortunately, I was never stationed on one.

If you have time to bail, consider it.

Despite "opened" standards, my experience is that the best DeviceNet devices are made by AB, the best ProfiBus devices by Siemens, and the best InterBus devices by Pheonix. I can't speak for ModBus stuff.

They are called "open" standards, but I have become cynical enough to consider anything but their originators third parties. I would be reluctant to spec any hardware made by outsiders until and unless I had the opportunity to do or witness thorough testing myself.

This is not bitterness talking, just experience.

Michal Casterline
Frakes Engineering

M

Mark DeCramer, WAGO

Analog addressing will start at %IW0, not %IW1. So, your analog values will be placed in words %IW0 through %IW11. Any digital inputs you have will then start in the next available input word, or %IW12 (%IX12.0, %IX12.1, etc). Your digital outputs will begin in the first available output word. If you don't have analog outputs in your node, this will be %QW0 (%QX0.0, %QX0.1, etc).

To read these registers using a Modbus TCP DLL, the Inputs can be read starting at Modbus address 400001. You can read and write to the Outputs starting at the Modbus address 400513.

Please contact WAGO Technical Support at 800-346-7245 or 262-255-6333 if you have further questions.