advertisement
from the gas turbines department...
stall and surge
Engineering and workplace issues. topic
Posted by new user on 28 April, 2007 - 5:07 pm
hi
I would like to know about the difference between the stalling and surging of the axial flow compressor in turbines.

1)The IGV s serve to protect from surging.
2) the Ilnet bleed heating and the compressor bleed valves are used for preventing from stalling.

I would like to have my doubt clarified.
Thanks in advance

Posted by markvguy on 29 April, 2007 - 11:15 am
There is an excellent resource on the World Wide Web known as Wikipedia. If one Googles "compressor+stall", the very first listing is the Wikipedia definition of combustion turbine compressor stall, and it mentions compressor surge in the first sentence or two.

http://www.wikipedia.org--one of the only things it lacks is a decent, understandable definition of Droop Speed Control/Governor Mode....

When a "generic" GE-design heavy-duty gas turbine is at rated speed, the IGVs (Inlet Guide Vanes, or Modulated Inlet Guide Vanes) are used to control the air flow through the unit ("generic" as in a unit without DLN (Dry Low NOx) combustors). This is usually done to limit combustor pulsations and/or to maximize exhaust temperature (for Combined Cycle operation).

The compressor bleed valves are used to protect the compressor during start-up and shutdown--below rated speed.

Inlet Bleed Heat is used to protect the compressor during operation with the IGVs less than approximately 57-62 DGA (DeGrees Angle)--which is usually only done on DLN combustor-equipped units. Some--NOT all--units with Inlet Bleed Heat also have Anti-Icing Control which is used to protect the inlet against iding through the use of the Inlet Bleed Heat system.

markvguy

Your use of this site is subject to the terms and conditions set forth under Legal Notices and the Privacy Policy. Please read those terms and conditions carefully. Subject to the rights expressly reserved to others under Legal Notices, the content of this site and the compilation thereof is © 1999-2014 Nerds in Control, LLC. All rights reserved.

Users of this site are benefiting from open source technologies, including PHP, MySQL and Apache. Be happy.

Fortune
"It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing,
but I couldn't give up because by that time I was too famous."
-- Robert Benchly
Advertise here
Advertisement
our advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive