advertisement
from the Instrument department...
How to calculate Repeatability of an Instrument?
Engineering and workplace issues. topic
Posted by Anonymous on 21 October, 2007 - 5:04 pm
We purchased an instrument with specs of 0.3% repeatability and 1% accuracy. What is the correct way to determine/establish the repeatability of this instrument?

Thanks in advance

Posted by Curt Wuollet on 22 October, 2007 - 5:06 pm
Present it with the same input multiple times and observe how consistent the reading is.

Regards

cww

Posted by A.K.Hait on 24 October, 2007 - 12:30 am
Give the same input at least 5 times and record the output. The deviation between any two outputs should not be more than 0.3% of the range if your repeatability has been defined as 0.3% of the range.

Posted by douthomas on 15 November, 2007 - 12:49 am
Take 5 consecutive measurements with same input. The Repeatability percentage will be (max.reading-min.reading/min.reading)*100. This should be within specified limits.

Posted by W.L. Mostia on 15 November, 2007 - 2:45 pm
The below statements are not quite correct as it is not just any five consecutive measurements. Please refer to the ANSI/ISA Standard 51.1, "Process Instrumentation Terminology," pg. 49, which defines repeatability and Figure 23 on pg. 50, which provides a graphical representation of repeatability based on instrument calibration curves.

William (Bill) L. Mostia, Jr. PE

Posted by douthomas on 18 November, 2007 - 5:15 pm
My reply was based on NIST. I have no access to the ISA standard. As the measurements will normally be on the linear portion of scale/range, I guess the Repeatability figures will be about same in that measurement range.

Posted by vijay on 18 November, 2011 - 7:06 am
Dear sir,

I do not have access to ISA standards. Can you please send me those two pages (pg.49 and pg.50) of ISA-51.1-1979(R1993) to vijay.karthick@parker.com

Your use of this site is subject to the terms and conditions set forth under Legal Notices and the Privacy Policy. Please read those terms and conditions carefully. Subject to the rights expressly reserved to others under Legal Notices, the content of this site and the compilation thereof is © 1999-2014 Nerds in Control, LLC. All rights reserved.

Users of this site are benefiting from open source technologies, including PHP, MySQL and Apache. Be happy.

Fortune
Fine day to throw a party. Throw him as far as you can.
Advertise here
Advertisement
our advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive