Signal Conditioning

M

Mike

Hello all,

I am looking for a signal conditioning module that will convert a 0-500mA DC signal to 0-10V to run to an analog input. Are there any suggestions on what to use. I am having trouble finding exactly what I am looking for without a lot of messing around.

M

Michael Griffin

First, calculate your accuracy and frequency response requirements, and look at the physical installation requirements. Consider using a current shunt and a signal conditioner with a 0 to 100mV input (or whatever the shunt is) and 0 to 10V output. There might be a better solution, but it is not really possible to give a better answer than this without knowing your application in detail.

Ohm's Law is your friend...

But seriously, contact Moore Instruments, Devar, AGM, Action Instruments, etc. You may have to do it in several steps...convert 0-500 mA to 0-50 mA... then use a resistor to get 0-10 VDC for your analog input.

Good luck,

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control magazine
www.controlglobal.com
blog:Sound OFF!! http://www.controlglobal.com/soundoff

Putman Media Inc.
555 W. Pierce Rd. Suite 301
Itasca, IL 60143
630-467-1301 x368
[email protected]

R
Mike,

A couple of options:
Option A - A shunt to give a mV drop that you can then convert. Many thermocouple Transducers/Input modules also have a mV option.

Option B - A hall effect transducer. I saw one @ crmagnetics.com that has a span of 2 amps. 4 turns thru that would be 500mA

Do you need an isolated transducer?
How much voltage can you afford to drop?
Is 0-10 V the only input option you have?
Do you need to measure right down to zero?

Regards,
Roy

V=IR (Ohms Law)

A precision resistor can do the conversion. I cannot believe I answered this. The math may be too difficult.

Put the current signal through a precision 20 ohm resistor. 0.500A * 20 ohms = 10.0 volts
Connect the AI input (+) and (-) across the 10 ohm resistor.

Honeywell uses a precision 10 ohm resistor for its Trendview paperless recorder inputs for this purpose. Buy a couple 10 ohm resistors from a Honeywell distributor and wire both in series to get 20 ohms.

Bud

R
I'm sure Mike doesn't want to drop 10 volts and may need isolation, therefore I suggested a mV to current transmitter or Hall Effect transducer.

Roy

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just came across this as I was looking to do something similar, without creating my own circuit.

Phidgets sells a DIN rail sensor that will take 0-1 A DC and convert it to 0-5 V for < $100, running off a 12 V power supply. The 0.5 ohm sense resistor keeps the voltage drop low.