Induction Generator

W

wind_girl

How can I get the circuit of induction generator? Normally, there are so many explanations about the induction motor in the induction machine subject/books but no explanation about the circuit and the equations involved in the induction generator subject. Can anybody help me, please?

nn_aed @ yahoo. co. uk

A motor converts electrical energy to mechanical energy, while a generator converts mechanical energy to electrical energy, so a simple induction generator would be the reverse of an induction motor. In other words, "mechanically" turning the rotor of an induction motor produces electricity at the electrical contacts.

P

Phil Corso, PE

Responding to Wind Girl’s 30-May-08 (00:43) query... to start with, are you familiar with the typical circuit diagram and associated formulas of an induction or asynchronous motor?

If yes, then an induction generator’s circuit is almost the same! Slight differences are associated with how excitation current is furnished:

1) Is the exciting current provided by the grid or network to which the induction generator is connected?

2) Are capacitors added at the induction generator’s terminals to furnish the exciting current?

If 1) or 2) then I can provide you with those differences!

However, if you are not familiar with induction motor theory then I suggest you avail yourself of electrical texts covering AC motor theory!

Regards, Phil Corso ([email protected])