Today is...
Monday, November 24, 2014
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Advertisement
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Wiring and programming your servos and I/O just got a lot easier...
Advertisement
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Using a CNC controller to control a 6 DOF industrial robot
Our goal is replacing the controller of some old 6 DOF robots
By Najafabadi on 30 July, 2008 - 11:45 pm

Hi Everybody,

We have some old robots and we decided to change their controllers. We can still use the robot's manipulator. Refer to the interpolations required in teaching mode and running mode of a 6 DOF robot. I hope someone introduces me to a CNC manufacturer that has such programming capabilities that we can use for doing this project.

I separate this question from my previous question in the link below, because CNC systems are more common and I hope to find someone who have done similar projects.

http://www.control.com/thread/1026248317#1026248653

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Najafabadi

I'm not sure if this will apply to your application. But I know Giddings and Lewis builds CNC machines (if I remember right). They manufacture their own PICs and we use their PIC90s for servo control. They have a scan rate comparable to the newer A-B CLX. They program in a combo of ladder and function block. They are a cheaper chassis, reliable, and fast. Just a bit odd to program.

By Najafabadi on 10 August, 2008 - 3:48 pm

Thank you Gavenb.
Any body has any other recommendations?

Again the Delta Tau Data Systems has NC capabilities and is a fairly common system for use as you describe. It is fairly cost effective, and if you are good at text-based languages it is very easy to learn and debug.