Brix measurement

R

rawat

Dear sir,

I am new in this field. I want to know which is a better and more accurate method of brix measurement in the sugar industry like Coriolis method, a refractive index detector sensor or microsensor or Gamma densitometers.

Thanks in advance.

With regards,
rawat

All of those mentioned work, depending on the application. Coriolis, refractive index and gamma densitometers are traditionally used as process instruments, and appear to work well. But it depends entirely on the application. Coriolis meters aren't going to be able to give you sugar pan density control the way an insertion gamma densitometer can. But coriolis meters are less expensive on a 2" line, for example, than a gamma densitometer.

It's all about the application.

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control and Controlglobal.com
www.controlglobal.com
Mailto:[email protected]
Read my blog SoundOFF!! At www.controlglobal.com/soundoff

thanks for reply
sir can we use gamma densitometer online & continous monitering of brix measurement in sugar industry process? What about its accuracy rate?

Another option is a tuning fork with density computer. I think this system has the best ratio cost- accuracy. Endress & Hauser can provide this systems. Unique restriction is the liquid speed trough the pipe.

Of course you can. Lots of people do, both online and in special designs for insertion directly into the sugar pan. Accuracy of a nuclear density gauge is dependent on your calibration method. Precision of measurement can be as high as +/- 0.0005 g/cc or better. Remember that accuracy and precision are different.

I'd contact one of the gamma gauging companies for more engineering and applications support. There are quite a few of them, including
Endress+Hauser, ThermoFisher Scientific (TN and KayRay), Berthold,
OhmartVega, Ronan Nuclear, and a couple of more depending on where you are in the world.

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control and Controlglobal.com
www.controlglobal.com
Mailto:[email protected]
Read my blog SoundOFF!! At www.controlglobal.com/soundoff

Hello,

Walt is right, it's about application if your pipeline from the pan is long enough and the quantity of your brix at large coriolis is the best choice, and about the accuracy. It's always about calibration and proper tuning of your system. First of all I suggest you learn more about the mass flow meter you want to use. Know the characteristic and measuring method. Of course altough it's the same mass flow, some vendors have different characteristics on their products. Get "up close and personal" with the "thing". If you are more familiar you can decide what kind of mass flow is needed for your application.