ABB DCS w/ AC450 and MP200/1 interface w/ other DCS systems

M

Moataz Sherif

Hi, I want to know how to interface a DCS ABB with AC450 and MP200/1 to another type of dcs systems via the master bus 300/300E protocol. Thanks.

B

Bryce Gillan

The Master Bus 300 is a proprietary protocol that you will struggle to find many vendors offering solutions outside of ABB.

The only non ABB solution to directly communicate on MB300 that I have seen is Novotek. See http://www.novotek.com/database_images/000000008/mb3_fact_sheet_1_3.pdf

Matrikon do OPC servers for ABB, but they have required hardware in the DCS controller to interface to. e.g. using the GCOM interface card in the controllers.

ABB are now offering a suite of products under the 800xA banner. Their HMI interface clients receive the data in OPC format. An OPC server can be set up with ABB 800xA software components i.e. a MB300 conectivity OPC server. We did this prior to buying the full blown 800xA operator interface for our Advants and MasterPieces.

If you want to communicate to other PLC systems you have the option of point to point communications in the form of Modbus (MP280 and AC450) and Profibus (AC450 only).

Regards

Bryce

As Bryce says, MB300 is a proprietary ABB Protocol. The only other controller I know of that supports MB300 is ABB's own AC800M.

You may find it easier to use a single AC800M as a gateway into the MP200 & AC450 network. The AC800M will support other comms protocols such as Profibus & Modbus and OPC

Note that ABB's OPC interface to MP200 & AC450 requires 800xA. Using AC800M does NOT require 800xA to use an OPC server so is much more cost effective.

Rob

www[.]lymac.co.nz

Hi

we have 08 ABB 200-260 masterpiece with a master bus 200 network. we bougth ABB 800XA in order to update our MAster View 850 (HMI), but this can't connect with MP 200-260 by masterbus 200.

what can i do to connect MP 200-260 with the 800XA?

Bad news I'm afraid. You need to upgrade the MP200's to use MB300. (MasterBus 200 is really obsolete). If the MP260 Controllers can't support MB300 or you cant get the MB300 parts for the MP260, then you are looking at controller upgrades. (Somebody really should have told you this before selling you 800xA)

You can possibly fit 8 small MP200 applications into two AC450 controllers and re-use your I/O but this needs to be properly specified and quoted. We have lots of experience upgrading MP200 to AC450 and it works well.

Rob
www[.]lymac.co.nz

You may also find it of some interest to know that if you are buying ABB 800xa OPC strictly to move data from a controller, to say, a PI system, you need only to order a system for a minimum license of 400 tags. It is when you are actually looking at data like an operator, that you need to license more tags for viewing.

But to just push data across this gateway to another device, requires that you only purchase the minimum tag start count of the product, which begins at only 400 tags. Do not buy a license for 4000 tags just to move data you do not directly look at.