Wireless Pressure Transducer

B

Brett

Does anyone know of battery powered wireless pressure (10,00psi) transducer that can communicate to a Laptop with a common protocol such as modbus etc rather then their own custom serial data stream?

I want it to communicate to wonderware without having to use other software.

There are a number of ways to do this. How you do it depends on the architecture you are trying to produce.

Do you want a wireless pressure sensor that transmits Modbus/TCP?

Or do you want a wireless pressure sensor that talks to a gateway that speaks Modbus?

Or something different?

One easy way to do this is to use a WirelessHART pressure transmitter, gateway, and take the data from the gateway into your laptop. That is all COTS equipment.

There are other ways to do it, but you need to give us more information on exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control and Controlglobal.com
www.controlglobal.com

Mailto:wboyes [at] putman.net
Read my blog SoundOFF!! At www.controlglobal.com/soundoff

Hi Walt

Thanks for the reply.

I am chasing something a bit more compact, like Electrochems PS1 http://www.electrochemsolutions.com/product-solutions/sensors.htm that can use a laptop to talk directly to the pressure transducer. Ideally I would prefer that this could be done without the base station so that the operator doesnt need to carry the base station around as well. Is it possible to make this work. Can a 4-20ma analog signal be converted into a digital signal and wirelessly talk directly to a laptop via wifi 802.11 or Bluetooth?

Regards
Brett
Intelligent Pumps
www.i-pumps.com.au

I know that product, and I like it. Call Tom Skwara at Electrochem and see what they can do.

Their gateway has an embedded controller in it as well as an Ethernet port, so it can also do the control in the field. As far as I know, that's unique in wireless sensor networking.

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control and Controlglobal.com
www.controlglobal.com
Mailto:wboyes [at] putman.net
Read my blog SoundOFF!! At www.controlglobal.com/soundoff

Keller America offers a Modbus/RTU Slave (RS-485) pressure transducer that can be mated with a radio transceiver to communicate wireless to wonderware (or a PLC). The model is called the Preciseline. I have some experience using this transducer.

www.kelleramerica.com

Chris Lilly is their outside sales contact: (757)596-6680.

The benefit of this Modbus/RTU slave transducer is that you avoid having to add an analog/digital converter, which would be required with 4-20mA type transducers.

Hi,

Emerson has the wireless PT that can communicate to a PC. The wireless PT is battered powered as required by you

Rgds,