Quantum Unity 311 CPU & Wonderware

T

Tim Whitson

I am really hoping someone can help because I am very frustrated at this point.

Project Overview:

Multiple potable water pumphouses (PH) and sewage lift stations across the city are controlled by Modicon 984 PLC's and are connected back to a central monitoring facility PH#1 via DDS/MR64 modems on dedicated lines. At PH#1 there is a corresponding Modem for each PH & LS. These modems are then connected to BM85 Mux which is polled by the SCADA PC running Wonderware InTouch 9.5 and has an SA85 I/O adapter card with server ver 8.1. These all work fine.

A new PH has been constructed. The PLC is a Quantum 311 10 programmed in Unity Pro XL ver 3.1. It has a dedicated line and the corresponding modems which are connected to a spare port on a BM85.

I have configured the MB+ I/O server topic definition, the BM85, and the Wonderware Access name. I have verified the channel address in the I/O server and the configuration of the BM85 to be done correctly. The cabling is correct and verified to be so. The modems are set up with the same parameters as the existing ones that are operating. The address on the switch on the back of the CPU is set to 3. I even changed the address in the configuration tab to 3. Using RTU mode, none parity (default for BM85) and have the switch on the front of the processor set to "mem"

In the MB+ I/O server topic definition of used both the 6-digit and 984 options

When I use the Wonderware WWClient utility to test connections I get the bad communications error code.

I don't know what else to do. I just know this is going to end up being something elementry but if anyone has ideas on what to try that would be great.

Thanks,

Tim

Oh...any help on how to configure the parameters for the modbus port in Unity so I can at least check if I can connect to the PLC with my Laptop via the serial modbus port that would be great too as I am new to Unity. I've been connecting via ethernet and the NOE card.

Set the serial port parameters for the M340 cpu by "double clicking" on the serial port. Set it as required... typically Slave Modbus RTU 9600 8E1. Note that the pinout for the RJ45 serial port for the M340 is NOT the same as the Quantum or Compact PLCs.