Monitoring for lease line connections

K

Kelly Crist

We have 3 lease line connections and were currently using the MuLogic LLM-336R modem however there is no way to monitor the Tx/Rx for the data other than using the information passed via the RTU. What I'm looking for is a way to monitor the connection independently at the connection level for Tx/Rx of data. The reason being is to know when the circuit is down which would help our company tremendously when troubleshooting outages on the circuit itself.

Any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your help.

P
> Kelly Crist writes:
> We have 3 lease line connections and were currently using the MuLogic LLM-336R modem however there is no way to monitor the Tx/Rx for the data other than using the information passed <

Kelly -

You didn't mention the physical interface of your modem. If you're using RS-232, and if the unit you're using is like most analog modems, you should have access to the DCD (Data Carrier Detect) handshake line, which is active when a connection is established.

Paul...

K
Thank you Paul,

the physical interface is a RS232 DB25 which connects to the RTU onsite. I've researched, and have been unsuccessful, for a physical interface that I can use to include in the setup between the modem and RTU that would allow the ability to view the carrier line. The modem itself has only two connections - one RS232 DB25 and the other is the provider connection - RJ45. With our MIS circuits onsite we have ISP provided monitoring, and know when there is a communications loss thru the carrier and internally however with the 9600/56k circuits no such option is available thru the provider and as you can read it's new to myself as well - as far as how to work with analog circuits.

Thank you to all for taking the time to review/respond to my post.