Need to control two motors

R

rchchmb

I need to move two motors along two separate rails. I think I can use a PLC to do this? I am thinking of have the motor travel between two switches and have the switches in a latching operation. Is this the right way to do this? If so, what hardware do you recommend I use?

many thanks

what do yo need the motors to do?? travel opposite each other, independant of each other, together? we need more info on the application. do you need to know where on the rail they are?? or do you just need to know when they get to the end points ?? give me more info and i'll try to help

L
I have a similar question, I need operate 2 motors on different rails But they will behave independently of each other and I need them to be programmable to certain distances from zero position and the max distance will be around 120 feet.

It's for a project I've been working on and have made some progress, except for the linear control that would send the tray to specific distances and at the same time have the ability to just move it anywhere between zero position and end stop position.

It would work this way:
Home=Zero Position
Point 1: 4 feet
point 2: 8 feet
and so on until stop position of about 100 feet and then
End: Maximum

J

Jeffrey T. Johannessen

We have some automation products that achieve this function. We have a positioning system that replaces the Gen5000 laser system along with technology to maintain anti-skew traverse of any type of crane or rail system.

Send me an email for more info or visit our web site: www.noltecse.com

[email protected]
Jeff

J

jim thompson

The conventional way to control them is to use an encoder to track position of each motor. the encoder will give you a number (say 24 count per foot) you can then tell the plc how many counts to run the motor to find the position you want. I've seen the encoder installed on the drive motor (if there is no chance of wheel slip) or on a seperate toothed track ( so there is no chance of slippage). Always avoid any type of linkage that intoduces slop in the encoder system as you will invariably not hit your mark with any repeatability. Also run your motors with frequency drives so the plc can slow the motor down and stop in the right place. There's alot to consider but when you get this type of system right its bullet proof...