Apply torque on shaft

V

vish

DC motor or electro brake?? which is better to apply torque on shaft

Our application:
Testing a electric motor actuator, with rotary motion

(shaft dia:10 mm, it operates only : 0 (close) to 100 (open) degrees, travel time : 5 seconds)

Requirements:
Need to apply torque to the shaft (actuator), in range 0-28Nm (250in-lb), control using PC.

1) Torque loading component (DC motor or electro brake)

2) Controller (feature to interface with PC)

3) If available Encoder to sense angular travel: (0-100 deg. tolerance ± 0.8 deg.)

If seek solution, for the above, which is better soultion (DC motor or electro brake) to apply toque to a shaft (which has rotation limited to 0 - 100 degree) would be good solution.

Thanks & Regards
vish

Talk to Magtrol. http://www.magtrol.com/ They sell this sort of hardware. You will need to talk (or e-mail) to them directly though, as I don't think that with this application you would be able to just pick the right components out of a catalogue.

I don't know the details of your test, but if it is just a production line functional test then for a completely different approach to the problem you might be able to just couple to a pulley and raise a dead weight.

If you need apply reactive (i.e. friction type) torque, than magnetic particle brake with current controlled torque (for example from Warner Electric) and hollow shaft encoder with standard resolution 1024 CPR would be significantly cheaper solution.