State Space Control of Inverted Pendulum

J

JB

Hello,

I am using state space control to balance an inverted pendulum for my senior design project. I have done hours and hours of research, because this control method was not covered in any of my undergraduate classes.

I am leaning toward using a full-order observer for this system and was wondering if anybody out there with knowledge of this type of feedback control could answer a few conceptual questions about implementation.

Basically, I need to know if I can run this system using a software package such as LabVIEW and I'm not sure how/where my feedback (analog voltage signals) will tie into the state space system model.

Any help is greatly appreciated as my graduation in May depends on this project :)

Thank you for your time!

JB

Do you want implement both state space controller and hardware interface with LabVIEW pack? How much degrees of freedom have your pendulum?

What is power of control system including observer?

I'm not sure what you mean by implementing hardware. I have a servo and drive, just need state space controller to send a +/- 10 Volt analog signal to the servo drive. Is the observer something that can be simulated in LabVIEW?

I am hoping to be able to send LabVIEW analog inputs (2 separate analog feedback signals from 2 pots) through an NIElvis platform, and have the compensated signal sent back directly to the servo drive from the Elvis. Is this possible? Or will I need to have external circuitry for the observer?

There is only 1 axis of freedom. I'm using a single axis linear table that is being driven by a servo and ball screw.

Thanks for the help!
JB

> Where can I find the Control List's Archives? <

Your friendly list moderator here.

To search the archives, use the search function. On the right side of the menu bar, click the question (?) mark. When the search page appears, read the help info and enter your search criteria.

Regards,
Peg Ferraro

Your structure for single axis must include state space controller and observer for evaluation of some system's variables inaccessible for direct measurement - all implemented with NI software. And - if I understand true - external torque/force loop will be implemented with hardware. Also you need analog output for external loop control and analog input for connecting at position feedback sensor (pot?).
Contact me directly if you need more help
[email protected]