Interfacing GE's Mark System with DCS/SCADA

R

Rahul

We have Mark IV,Mark V,Mark VI and Mark VIe system at some locations, unfortunately old systems have not been upgraded to Mark IVe yet.

Now, We want to get data from all these systems using MatrikonOPC Server/client at high speed preferably TCP/IP

I am putting my queries below

1. How is this possible to get data from all these legacy as well as latest GE system at a time.

2. The data will not only be used for monitoring but control as well from DCS/SCADA system. how this control will be taken care of?

3. At few locations, we have some "enumerated data type" signals, how this can be handled?

Does anyone know more details about this enumerated data type?

Our DCS vendor supports only 2 modifier conditions for one single tag(enumerated data type). but we have 25 modifier conditions for a tag Status_fld. How to handle this situation?

regards,
Rahul

Rahul,

To my knowledge, there is no OPC package available to communicate directly with a Mark IV.

Matrikon has an OPC Server that can communicate with a Mark V and one that can communicate with a Mark VI; that is clear from their website. I believe they probably have a Mark VIe product under development (or they should be developing one).

As for enumerated data states, if you look at how enumerated data states are "determined" in sequencing/application code, you will see they are primarily derived from logic signals. It's conceivable you could use some means to monitor logic states to develop your own enumerated data.

One advertiser here at control.com, CSE Engineering, Inc., has a product that can communicate directly with some Mark IVs (if the Mark IV has a remote operator interface, called either a <D> or a <C.R>), then they can provide an <ITC> HMI that can send commands to and receive data from the Mark IV. I believe that product also has OPC capability. But, it's an awful lot of money to spend on an aging control system.

When are we going to get that speed/frequency and Load Gear nameplate data from the units at your site?

Hello CSA,

I also contacted Matrikon and they said that, The MatrikonOPC Server for MarkV/VI(GSM) will communicate with the MarkV, MarkVI, and the Mark VIe. Though for MarkVie -The client will need to have GE install the GSM components on the MarkVie.

They don't have any solution for Mark IV system

Enumerated data type - yes, i checked the sequencing code and they are logic signals only with state 0&1.

I would like to know more about this enumerated data types, i am not able to get clear picture about this,

We are in touch with DCS vendor to sort this out.

Ok, i will check with CSE Engineering for that Mark IV option, and already looking and working for some other options..

I still feel Upgrade of Mark IV system is the best option, provided client is ready to spend even bigger amount.

Regards,
Rahul

The Mark IV is a fine system, like all control systems it has it's idiosyncrasies. But, if you want to interface it to other systems, your options are pretty limited. That's just a fact of life. And those options can be pretty expensive considering, as you have noted, it is time for an upgrade anyway.

Sounds like it's really up to your Customer to decide what they want to do.

Now, if the Mark IV has MODBUS capability (<b>NOT</b> DATA DUMP--MODBUS), then you could try that. Any control system that could speak MODBUS and interface with OPC could do that. But, if you want full control and data options, you should think about something else.

Of course, there's going to be a lot of work involved in setting up the MODBUS link, and there are no time tags.

Your choices are what they are. And the Customer has whatever monies they have, or don't. They can want whatever they want; they just have to be able to pay for it.

Again, the options for Mark IV are limited. And they cost money; money that could be spent towards upgrading to Mark VIe now instead of later.

Best of luck!