Connecting to GE EX2000 Exciter

K

KGE

We have a GE EX2000 exciter which was installed approximately 10 years ago. We are getting some faults on the exciter that will not clear.

We have a copy of GE Control Toolbox version 6 runing on an old Windows 95 laptop but I'm don't know how to establish communication with the exciter.

The exciter has a 25 pin connector, the operator interface has 2 DB9 (RS232) connectors.

When I open the old program (was Control Toolbox version 4) I go to the device menu and try to connect and it acts as if it is looking for an IP addresss. I have connected to the 25 pin connector on the exciter but I don't know how to configure the software to communicate with the exciter.

I'm looking for a very basic procedure for connecting Control System Toolbox to the EX2000 exciter and how to view signals and diagnostics.

Thanks,

Typically it is not necessary to use toolbox to diagnose problems on a EX2K system. On older EX2K systems you generally have a MKV controller that is connected to the EX2K and engineering workstation via ARCNET. You do not say what type of turbine controller you are using so I have to assume it is not a MKV. Newer systems using the MKVI controller have an intermediate controller that basically talks ARCNET to the EX2K then converts to TCP/IP EGD data to talk to the MKVI.

In your case I do not have a "simple procedure" for hooking up to the EX2K with a laptop. I can try to assist with fault codes that might be displayed on the local display on the EX2K controller card.

More information as to your system would be helpful. The EX2K had lots of different variants throughout its lifetime and I suspect yours may not be one of the "usual" installations.

Even if you do succeed with "hooking up" to the EX2K, the procedure for diagnosing faults is anything but easy, in my humble opinion!

Toolbox requires that you set up your communication protocol. Change the default protocol to serial instead of TCP/IP.

To provide some further background this unit is a hydraulic unit with a non-MKV turbine controller. The exciter tripped off and with the unit offline displays the following fault codes. With a hard reset these codes sometimes clear but usually come back within a few minutes.

The voltage display on the operator interface bounces around from 0 to 8kV even with the stator grounded. We injected 120Vac with a doble test set onto the PTCT card inputs and read 1.5Vac on test inputs V12+/V12- and V23+/V23-. The voltage on the operator interface was approximately rated line to line voltage but fluctuated(~5%)which is more than I expected as the doble signal is very precise.

The fault codes that appear are latched alarms:

495 PTX_FAIL
X set PT (Potential transformer) detected An X set PT failure was detected when magnitude of voltages measured by V set PTs minus X set PTs was excessive (see EEPTFDVL).

496 PT_OR_UV
Loss of all VMAG calculation or under voltage This fault indicates that voltage feedback (VMAG) calculations are bad as detected through excessive phase to phase distortion or voltage is less than 10% and Blk. UMVBl Var.8 (normally pointed to RUNNING) is true. Time delay is set by PTFDTl (EE.3834).
EXPTW war. 11 82) is also set.

497 VMAG_HI_
High voltage (on EXVMAG) from protective #

498 VHZ_HI_1
High volts per hem (on EXFLUX) from protetiive #1

499 VHZ_HI_2
High volts per hertz (on EXFLUX) from protective #2

Dear KGE,

I have not seen these codes before so I do not have any good answers at this point. Do you have more than one EX2K? Or is this just a simplex unit?

As far as connecting it is possible without the MKV. You will need your .dcb file for that particular EX2K. You should be able to connect serially to the EX2K via the 25pin connector on the exciter terminal board. Open your .dcb file in toolbox. Go to the options tab at the top, and select settings. Select serial with a 9600 baud. Then try to connect with toolbox. I will continue to check around with others about these faults, please write back and keep us updated!

KGE,

I am not sure when this happened if there was an "event" that might shed light. But since it seems the PTCT card is ok, the next point is going to be the TCCB card since it processes all signals for the LDCC card.

F

fausto jasso

Fellow

The problem is that the constant time of the digital filter thath "filters"the PC(generator) voltage signal is too big and therefore it has to be reduced. For that you have to do the next step

using the display press "set" "drv" "7" "7" by doing that you get to the eprom mode, once you are there go to the epromm address EE.3834 increase it at least twice its current value,press "enter" and press "clear" twice.

Is this a problem you've had before? If so could you explain a bit more as to how adjusting the generator voltage filter value affects the alarms?

kge

It so sample, You use the toolbox, menu/option/setting, then it show dialog box.

You just select AcDcEx2000, choice Serial and baud rate com. it's ok,
If you still can't online ex2000, you should find out ex2000 connect jumper that set the right position.