RS485 vs Ethernet for Bently Nevada 3500 monitor to YOKOGAWA DCS

E

electronic

i want to know the difference between RS485 et ethernet communication from bently nevada monitor 3500/92 to DCS YOKOGAWA

RS-485 is a multi-drop communications, as one rack may fail or loss power, the remaining racks do not loss communications. As for RS-485, it is serial communications and not as reliable as ethernet. There is also a speed limitation. Ethernet is more plug n play. If the communications are only to one rack, you can use a crossed cable rather than a switch or hub. For multiple racks, a swithch is required. Be sure to set the speed the same 10 or 100 MB. As for the addressing, rack address (1-255) for serial and the IP address for ethernet.

Hope this helps.

E
what is the easy and bénific <b>[Sic]</b>, using ethernet or RS485 communication between Bently nevada monitor and YOKOGAWA DCS?

thanks

I prefer using ethernet and configuring Modbus over ethernet. Less time spending making a 485 cable and getting it to work. Cat 5 cables are readily available if there is an issue.

www.pdmcal.com

E
> I prefer using ethernet and configuring Modbus over ethernet. Less time spending
> making a 485 cable and getting it to work. Cat 5 cables are readily available
>if there is an issue.

ok, thanks

Gents,

Anybody has experience linking BN 3500 directly to Yokogawa DCS via Yokogawa asset management system?

What are the benefits?