Variable Frequency Drive

K

Kislay Nigam

I have installed AC Drive in Tread Mill Application. I am facing a problem that on running, my drive is creating sound (Humming Sound), and on increasing the speed, intensity of sound increases. Please help me, and suggest me the solution.

Motor Details: 2.2KW / 3 Phase 220 V
VFD Details: 2.2 KW, 1 Phase I/P, 3 Phase O/P 220 V

G

Gerald Beaudoin

Boldly assuming, :)-^) that all is properly connected and that there are no defective components, you can try playing with the modulation frequency. This is usually one of the available parameters, and you can sometimes swap one noise for another which might be more tolerable, or less noticeable. Also, there may be a parameter which allows you to skip certain frequencies which might resonate with mechanical components and amplify the noise.
Good luck

Cheers
Gerald

C

Chris Jennings

It is very common for VFDs to make a humming, squealing, or even chirping sound while operating. Having incoming filters, output filters, screened cables, or active harmonic correction systems installed can all contribute.

I worked in one plant that had a conveyor system that stopped and started frequently and spending any time in the electrical switchroom with the VFDs would drive you mad with all the noise. We didn't have any unexpected failures in the plant and everything seemed to be operating fine.

I would just double check that you have followed the vendors installation instructions, especially with regards to earthing, screened cables, LC filters and wall mounting just to be sure.

Chris Jennings

---- snip ----

> you can try playing with the modulation frequency.
> This is usually one of the available parameters, and you can sometimes swap
> one noise for another which might be more tolerable, or less noticeable.
---- snip ----

Just to clarify this post - the modulation frequency is often known as "Switching Frequency" in the drives parameters. The lower the setting the more efficient the system will be but the more audible the noise. On a treadmill application you can just set the parameter to its maximum value to put the PWM output of the drive outside the range of human hearing.

In some drives, the switching/modulation frequency is called the "Carrier Frequency" which is sometimes set at 2.5KHz. You can increase this to 10KHz or so but any higher and you will have to de-rate the VFD.