Stale Speed

S

sdbarman

What is meant by Stale Speed in a Gas Turbine?

We have a Mark-VIe Control system where 'Stale speed' setting needs to be configured.

That configuration should have been done by GE or the supplier prior to commissioning.

How did you find the configuration?

Why is the as-found configuration in question?

There is a Description field to the right of the configuration field. What does the description say?

I believe "Stale Speed" refers to the "primary" speed signal(s) coming from the PTUR(s) or the UCxx(s) (the "controllers") that are compared against the speed signal(s) in the PPRO(s). If the speed from the PTURs doesn't change after some period of time, then a trip is initiated, because there is some problem with the communication between the PTUR(s) and the PPRO(s).

But, that setting should have been configured prior to our during commissioning. And, GE, or the supplier, should be contacted before any changes are made to that configuration.

So, now the question is: Why is it felt it needs to be configured if it was found to be Enabled and there is no further configuration required?

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that while you're in ToolboxST you can use the Help - Distributed I/O Help - PPRO (or even the FINE Mark VIe System Guide, GEH-6721, Vol. II, PPRO section) to look up Stale Speed Detection, and get an excellent description of the function. Much better than mine.

Please Read the Manual before posting for help with questions like this.