guidance for project

A

automation

hello friends,

i am an engineering student in the final year.

i want to do a project on plc through which i can control flow and temperature. so please guide me about this. i want to use micrologix 1200 plc and wonderware scada. how can i do this? plz guide me as soon as possible

Hi Your friendly local moderator here,

I am posting this as a way to get general information out to readers of this forum and students in particular.

I have mostly stopped posting requests for help on student project on the forum. I do not believe this forum is not a substitute for basic research or reading textbooks on automation and control, nor is it a place where students should be able to have their homework questions answered for them. If you want assistance from people who read this forum, add information to your original post on this forum and describe in detail what you have done on this project yourself. Then ask people for help in the specific area you need assistance. I have discovered over the years that students who write messages to the forum with that approach receive information that can help them.

In addition, you might try searching on Control.com for relevant information, or perhaps doing a broader web search.

Regards,
Peg Ferraro, Control.com moderator

B

bob peterson

We do not usually do student's homework assignments for them here.

I will say that implementing control of anything via a PLC/HMI combination is more about figuring out just how you want that control to function then it is about the PLC or the HMI.

There are a bunch of ways you can make this work. You need to sit down and figure out how you want it to work first. Once you have done that, the implementation is much easier.

One of the easiest ways is with a level switch and an on/off valve. Wire the level switch to a PLC input. Wire the on/off valve to a PLC digital output. When the input says water is above the switch setpoint, turn the valve off. When the input says the level is below the switch setpoint, turn the valve on.

Another solution involves the use of an analog level transmitter and an analog control valve. There are various ways you can wire these up to a PLC and make the level control function. In fact, you can often make it work quite adequately with no PLC at all.

Thanks Peg,

I am not a student, but it does aggravate me as a professional when someone wants their homework done for them having been there once myself. I really don't want to work alongside some punk that had someone on the internet do their work for them. I do sympathise for someone doing an industrial project and being mentored by professors that may or may not have heard of a PLC. This is where I think some guidance from this forum might be appropriate. That is to say it doesn't hurt to help someone learn on their own by giving them advice on where to look for information.

Basic guidance on projects is one thing, but I have noticed a few posts that were along the line of:

"I need ABC to interface to XYZ, please design for me..."

I usually ignore these.

Just my $0.02

KEJR