Electrical Actuator

R

Rohit

I want to know about Foundation Field Bus type Electrical Valve actuator. How this facilitates effective automation? Why it is so costly?

I got some inquiries regarding electrical actuators with Foundation Field Bus. So, i need the relevant information

The way you have I/P converter the same way you have F/P converter. difference being in I/P converter the input signal is 4 to 20 mA but in F/P the input signal is serial digital signal from H1 card in the form of Manchester coding. output remains the same i.e. 3 to 15 psi

The Foundation Fieldbus valve positioner is part of the H1 network segment with a pressure, temperature, flow, level or other transmitter. It typically is configured with the PID function block for control of the fluid flow. It is expensive because it is a precision instrument with finely machined moving parts, the manufacturers see little price competition, and users do not buy enough of these devices. You do not have many choices except to do control in one of the transmitters and output to a Foundation Fieldbus pneumatic converter (SMAR and maybe others) then use a pneumatic control valve and positioner. You lose the capability to read position feedback and the precision of a Foundation Fieldbus electronic digital positioner.

Dick Caro
===============================================================
Richard H. Caro, CEO, CMC Associates
Certified Automation Professional (ISA)
Buy my books at the ISA Bookstore:
Wireless Networks for Industrial Automation
Automation Network Selection
Consumers Guide to Fieldbus Network Equipment for Process Control
===============================================================

J
I think this thread is about electric actuators / motor operated valves (MOV) rather than pneumatic actuators

Electric actuators are large chunks of metal so I guess they cost a lot even in a hardwired version

A hardwired electric actuator can have as 16 control and feedback signals requiring a dozen pairs of wires and 16 I/O channels on the system. By switching to digital bus communication you can dramatically reduce the wiring cost and system price. So even if the fieldbus card costs a little more, you will win in the end

However, be careful of proprietary communication networks for electric actuators. You will be locked in for life. Make sure to use a standard bus like FOUNDATION fieldbus

Learn more from this article:
http://www.ceasiamag.com/article-7594-thevalveconnection-LogisticsAsia.html

Cheers,
Jonas