AC Motor Drives

S

Sensorless

If the drive of an AC motor fails due to some reason and if we don't have a spare drive at that time, then, can we use a motor + brake combination to perform the same work...

Kindly help me in understanding this thing as well...

Thanks in advance.

B

bob peterson

maybe. A lot depends on the actual application and how much you are willing to change on the fly.

--
Bob

I think you need to post a LOT more information about your application (what kind of drive, what size motor, what kind of load, etc.) if you want a meaningful response.

J

James Ingraham

Short answer; get a spare drive.

I started typing a very long, detailed response on ways you could pull this off, but frankly I think it's counter-productive to do anything other than replace the drive. Note that it doesn't necessarily have to be the SAME drive, just one that will match up.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

S
I'm with James.

The question might make sense if it was of the form "Our drive just died, and it takes 3 weeks to get a compatible one, but we do have this brake. Is there a chance I can get the machine back online by 2:00pm?" though even then we'd need a LOT more detail on the application.

But the question seems to be in a planning mode. In a planning situation why would the answer be anything but "Do it right" meaning have critical spare parts on hand?

the short answer is no. most VFD rated motors have a different motor current curve than across the line motors (although some are made to do both). Also, when running across the line you can't slow down the motor without burning it up... so you would have to run at the base speed of the motor....so the long answer is no too.