Edit modbus list in CIMPLICITY

S

soheil

As you know in Cimplicity we have a folder:cimproj that inside that there are to files (cimmode.dat and cimmode.lst). To edit the modbus list i know that i should work on cimmode.dat file and for execute the changes i forgot the executive instruction that i should type in command prompt. Please help me if there are other ways also.

thanks

Can you advise me on possibility/method of connecting a DCS system to GE Mk5 using Modbus serial where the DCS shall be able to do the required DCS control/monitor functions?

what is the objective of connecting these systems

> MODBUS is no longer the preferred method of communicating with GE turbine controllers. OPC is the way to go ... <

This is really an outlandish statement.

This would be per Matrikon, not per any Customers who only have MODBUS capability.

OPC has many advantages, but is also has some disadvantages. It has not yet supplanted MODBUS.

Do these kinds of posts truly meet all the guidelines of control.com? To say that "MODBUS is no longer the preferred method of communicating with GE turbine controllers...." seems to be a pretty blatant violation of the second posting guideline.

Further, if the statement were really true, then why can't Matrikon's product handle alarms and events from GE turbine controllers? It can only retrieve (request) data, and send commands, but it falls flat when it comes to handling alarms and events.

And, it does not serve as any kind of replacement for configuring a GE turbine controller. Can it force logic signals, or display relay ladder diagrams/application code, or change Control Constants?

OPC might be an alternative to MODBUS, but "..the preferred method..." is quite obviously not true. And, I would again submit a violation of the second control.com posting guideline. OPC might be a fine alternative for retrieving data or even sending commands, but it has many serious shortcomings when it comes to being "preferred".

<i>Moderator's note: I will try to remember to ask people to tone down their language when recommending their products. As you know I am not adverse to doing so.

Your currently over stressed moderator, Peg</i>

W

Wassim Daoud

Hi CSA,

I am not going to try to turn this into a word fight here, but I would like to set the record straight on the incorrect statements.

> it falls flat when it comes to handling alarms and events.

I am not sure what you mean by that. Can you state clearly what you mean instead of generic statement? In fact, Modbus that falls short on providing timestamps, and hence determining the proper sequence of events is typically impractical using Modbus.

> And, it does not serve as any kind of replacement for configuring a GE turbine
> controller. Can it force logic signals, or display relay ladder
> diagrams/application code, or changeControl Constants?

Yes, it does.

>OPC might be an alternative to MODBUS,
>but "..the preferred method..." is quite
> obviously not true. And, I would again submit a violation of the second
> control.com posting guideline. OPC might be a fine alternative for retrieving
> data or even sending commands, but it has many serious shortcomings when it
> comes to being "preferred".

The MatrikonOPC Server for the GE Turbines provides access to both the real-time data (with millisecond accuracy), as well as SOE (Sequence of Events) data from the turbine controllers, using the timestamps from the controller. That's what makes it the preferred. But I understand that some people still prefer Modbus which is basically a personal preference.

I have read your posts and I truly appreciate the knowledge and information you bring to the table. I hope to see more of them

@Peg, I am truly sorry that your overstressed and overworked, moderator's job is certainly isn't easy.

Cheers,
Wassim

R
Thanks Peg for your patience in putting up with a bunch of "Engineers". My wife is a Mental Helath Counselor and feels people in my profession (and especially me) should have a diagnostic write-up in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V), because we think so differently than the rest of society. My ego says that is obviously false but...

Russ Kinner
Phoenix, AZ

<i>The moderator says thank you to all the kind words from everyone.</i>

Yes, Ms. Ferraro. Thanks for your patience, and sincerely sorry if we added to your work and stress.

<i>Moderator's note: Hey stress is over. I got to drive the tractor at the farm for 4 hours today. Better than anything to get rid of stress.

You can all quit apologizing now, honest.</i>

Wassim Daoud,

We are talking about Mark V in this post, and I think I was thinking it was Mark VI. But, please be clear and specific about what the Matrikon OPC for GE Speedtronic turbine control systems can and can't do--without having to wade through the Matrikon website. Because I can't find a comprehensive list of capabilities for the Mark V and for the Mark VI.

Would you please point us to one for the Mark V and one for the Mark VI?

I believe you are correct when you say the Matrikon OPC implementation can handle Mark V Alarms and events, though I note you did not specifically say that. So, can you clarify what the capabilities of the Matrikon OPC implementation is with regards to events and alarms (Process and Diagnostic) for both Mark V and Mark VI?

Also, can you clarify exactly what the Matrikon OPC implementation can do for both Mark V and Mark VI with respect to logic forcing, Control Constant Adjustment, and real-time rung display?

Lastly, you say the Matrikon OPC implementation can completely replace a GE operator interface. Can it be used to modify sequencing or application code? Can it be used to perform an autocalibration of LVDT feedback? For either Mark V or Mark VI?

Yes. The Matrikon OPC implementation is very good at requesting data and passing it to a HMI- or data archival application. Can the Matrikon OPC implementation be used to completely replace a GE HMI for all functions, including displaying Process and Diagnostic Alarms and events, sequencing changes, logic forcing, downloads and uploads, and LVDT calibration? Because that's what you seem to be alluding to in many of your posts about GE Speedtronic interfaces. And it would be nice to know exactly what it can and can't do.

If you, as an operator or maintenance tech, were investigating communication methods for Speedtronic turbine control systems, why would you want to add another application, possibly running on another PC, to pass information from a Speedtronic to some other system or application? Why wouldn't you use what's available on the GE operator interface, since you have to keep the GE operator interface for maintenance and troubleshooting functions?

We're pretty sure we know what you, as a Matrikon employee, would say. But as an operator or maintenance tech what would you say?)

Thanks for the clarification and information.