Mark V <I> computer backup

• Thread starter Lalith Ranawaka
  • Start date
L

Lalith Ranawaka

I have tried to install MarkV <I> computer hard disk into an another PC. The computer is working with IDOS. I can go to any page with CPD which is working on serial port. Then I connected ARCNET card to an ISA bus, set the address by dip switches and connected stagelink cable. But, the data is not updated (no valid data). Can someone who have developed a separated PC for Mark V <I> help me?

[email protected]

IDOS was written to work with specific BIOS chips/software. It will not run on any IBM-compatible PC.

If you moved the ARCnet card from the <I> to this new PC, it should not have been necessary to change the StageLink ID (the dipswitches on the ARCnet card).

Do any of the LEDs on the ARCnet card light or flash? If so, which ones and what is the sequence?

Have you tried running ARCWHO.EXE from a command prompt? Or I_ARCWHO.EXE? What are the results?

But, again, just "any" PC will not work as an <I>. And this is because IDOS was written to work only with certain BIOSs. (No; I don't know which specific ones.)

And, I'm not certain just moving a bootable hard disk from one computer to another will always result in the new computer working exactly as the old computer.

This is not a simple "plug-and-play" exercise. Many people have spent weeks trying to make something similar work. There are too many variables for it to work with little or no effort, and not all of the variables are documented or known to us "lay" people.

Best of luck with your endeavour! If you succeed, please write back with the details.