Modbus-Serial over HTTPS

L

Liam Feeney

I have been asked a question....which I don't know the answer to, hopefully someone here will have come across this before (I can't be the first).

I have a PLC that begins using Modbus Serial, then this gets converted/encapsulated into Modbus TCP/IP. I know this works in industry, so that part is fine.

What I want to know is, if I then encapsulate Modbus TCP/IP into HTTPS, should the end result still be achievable (i.e. reverse the process so the information can be read)?

Many thanks for any help.
Liam

Yes, its definitely achievable. There are several commercial products available that provide a web based HTML interface to PLCs.

But from your question and requirement for HTTPS I am guessing that you want a more direct interface using HTTPS to serve an XML data stream to another data system somewhere.

The major issue you face is that Modbus Serial and TCP are typically Master/Slave communication messages sent on a cyclic - i.e. continuous - basis. (Yes, we know that modbus comms doesn't need to be cyclic but it typically is) So you have a continuous stream of messages coming from your PLC slave in a format which contains lots of information in a very rigid structure. You then want to translate this into a Client/Server communication where your client(s) may or may not request that data at any arbitrary time, using XML which has a pretty arbitrary data structure.

So you are probably going to require the following components ....

* An off-the-shelf Modbus TCP / Serial interface to the PLC

* A database to store the information read by the PLC interface until it is requested by the HTTPS client.

* A web server to serve the data from the database to your clients using HTTPS.

If you're able to use open source software then you could do this fairly easily with a MySQL database, a Windows based IIS or Linux Apache web server and a pretty simple PhP web page application. I found a ModBus to SQL application with a couple of minutes searching using google here -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/modbus2sql/ which looks like it could provide a good starting point.

Rob
www[.]lymac.co.nz