EX2100e with Mark V

S

sd

I would like to have some opinion on connecting an EX2100e exciter to Mark V. I am planning to replace the exciter for my gas turbines. The Mark V has only supports 2 types of communication protocol (please correct me if I'm wrong) which is arc-net and modbus. However the EX2100e only supports Ethernet and modbus. The problem is that since both Mark V and EX2100e is master, modbus between both could not be realized.

Anyone have experienced similar problem please suggest any idea.

Thanks

You're going to connect an EX2100e to your gas turbines without GE's assistance? Or one of their packagers?

What does GE (or their packager) say?

I think you need to do some more investigation on communication methods for GE equipment.

Obviously not ;)

The exciter would be installed by GE. Currently modbus and arcnet is out of the picture. That's the reason I'm looking for anyone's opinion or experience to come about this problem.

> The exciter would be installed by GE.

The engineering and the installation will be done by GE. And, they will probably use discrete I/O to perform the "communication" between the Mark V and the EX2100e.

And the HMI will most likely communicate with the EX2100e via Ethernet. So, you'll get the data on the HMI, and the Mark V will interface via discrete I/O.

That's a guess, because as you say MODBUS and ARCnet are out.

However, GE will determine how all the bits will communicate. But, good on you for anticipating the configuration by recognizing the potential problems.

J
sd,

This is a common issue that we have addressed with our migration and upgrade programs. For specific technical questions you can find support through the knowledge library or live support at GE Controls Connect.

John
I am the Product Line Leader for Services at GE Measurement and Controls. As noted below, the Controls Connect portal has significant functionality at no cost.

CONTROLS CONNECT NOTE: If you have a GE SSO# and are a GE turbine operator, business associate or EPC firm, please send me an email with the subject "Controls Connect Access" and include your SSO#, Name and Company. Please note that we do not accept generic email addresses (e.g. @yahoo, @hotmail, @gmail, etc). Company based email addresses are required for security reasons. Your registration will take approximately 3 days. If you do not have a GE SSO# you can register at http://site.ge-energy.com/online_tools/controls_connect.htm or just perform a Google search on "Controls Connect". Just click on the register button to start the process. Registration forms should require less than 5 minutes to complete. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]

In Controls Connect you can search the knowledge database for similar issues, find manuals, TILS, white papers, etc or phone/email the technical support team directly. This is a FREE service. I hope it helps.

Thanks John. We finally managed to find some solution. The EX2100e would be communicating with Mark V using existing hardwires. The EX2100e would be communicating with the HMI via PDH Ethernet.