SHARP LJ512U25 replacement

L

Luca Gallina

dear colleagues,

a customer needs to replace a few displays made by SHARP in early '90s. Full model data is SHARP LJ512U25.

The machine manufacturer is asking about 1300 US$ for each display, a third party supplier only a few dollars less.

My question: does anybody knows a cheaper substitute? The replacement can be different in display size and technology (e.g. STN, TFT, anything else).

As alternate method, is there any way to convert the LJ512U25 pinout using an off-the-shelf interface?

Thanks in advance
Luca Gallina

B

Bob Peterson

Since you have told us almost nothing about what the display in question actually is, it is going to be hard to answer your question.

If it is a VGA (or EGA) style monitor, it should be replaceable with just about any monitor meeting that criteria.

If there is any intelligence included with the display, $1300 is probably a cheap replacement.

At some point this kind of obsolete stuff is going to have to be replaced. I have never understood why people buy stuff like this and never seem to buy an adequate supply of spare parts to keep the machines running.

L

Luca Gallina

> Since you have told us almost nothing about what the display in question
> actually is, it is going to be hard to answer your question.

as far as I understood, it's a 640x480 graphic display but no EGA/VGA standard interface. The panel is connected to custom electronics, connector is a 16 pin flat cable.

I could not give better info since I was not able to find any datasheet. Apparently neither SHARP is able to provide one (or maybe the one who answered my phone call at Sharp was the laziest clerk).

Searches on the net pointed out just "out of stock" or stellar prices suppliers. Not wanting to be pinned down once again to an expensive vintage panel, a compatible replacement with up-to-date electronics would have been a viable alternative. At this point I will evaluate a complete controller replacement.

Thanks for your time.