Using a step down transformer as a step up transformer

E

ebenezer

can a step down transformer 33/11 be used as step up transformer 11/33, and what is the implication?

> can a step down transformer 33/11 be used as step up transformer 11/33, and what is the implication?

Short answer: Yes. As long as you don't exceed the voltage ratings for either side of the transformer.

Ebenezer... the answer is yes.

In fact the stepup-step down principle can even be used to connect an instrument, like an Ammeter, a very long distance from the Current-Transformer (CT) to which it is connected.

Regards, Phil Corso

B

Bruce Thompson

I have not this myself before, but my gut feeling is that you should be able to do this by installing it backwards.

My primary concern would be the availability of voltage taps to compensate for any differences in line voltage.

In step down transformer 33/11, Primary is 33, secondary is 11.

If it used for step up transformer 11/33, 11 Kv to be connected in the secondary and 33 Kv will be induced in primary side. BUT load should not exceed the rated specification say for example 11 VA.

Whereas, in step up transformer 11/33, if 33Kv connected in the secondary it'll induce 11Kv in primary thus will work as step down transformer.

Regards,
G.Rajesh

C

Curt Wuollet

Obviously. But the ratings for voltage and current must still be adhered to, and in some cases the efficiency might not be as high if for example, leakage inductance is high or the transformer is optimized for a definite purpose. Also make sure you aren't defeating any special isolation, shielding, etc. But. generally, they work both ways. And, occsionally you see an unusual application. like a small control transformer used like a current transformer to provide a pilot light or isolated power source. Or a control transformer used as a saturable reactor for low power.

Regards
cww

Bruce… the method can be used where relatively small control-wire size results in an unacceptable voltage-drop. Of course, precaution regarding disconnection at the ammeter end, must be emphasized.

Regards, Phil

I have similar question. We have 132KV/11KV grid connected transformer installed in switchgear. Can we use this transformer to step up as well?

I mean transmit generated power of 11KV to 132KV. I can send data sheet of transformer as well.

> Obviously. But the ratings for voltage and current must still be adhered to, and in some cases the efficiency might
> not be as high if for example, leakage inductance is high or the transformer is optimized for a definite purpose. Also
> make sure you aren't defeating any special isolation, shielding, etc. But. generally, they work both ways. And,
> occsionally you see an unusual application. like a small control transformer used like a current
> transformer to provide a pilot light or isolated power source. Or a control transformer used as a saturable reactor for low power.

The only issue you might have is not having the neutral reference. We has a 13.8KV to 138KV GSU transformer which is delta to wye (Wye on the 138KV side). We transmit about a mile, tie into the utility grid. We then have two transformers which step the voltage down 138 KV to 13.8 Kv Delta to wye. In this case I don't think I could interchange the transformers since I wouldn't have the neutral on my 13.8 kv side of the step down and I wouldn't have my neutral reference on the 138 KV side of the step up.

it was genrate high voltage if u aply low ac voltage at secondry 12-0-12 winding...

if u don't believe apply 12-0-12 v using function generator which is available in labs...

or apply 12-0-12 from other t.f