how the power gain is estimated

S

salman

in many papers, power gain due to peak firing option is about 5%.
how is it calculated?
say a 7EA turbine and i want to evaluate the power gain from raising the TIT by 100 F.
how this gain is calculated?

thanks

Increasing the turbine inlet temperature isn't just something one does without risk.

You should ask the OEM, or another reputable engineering firm, if they can calculate the effect. 100 deg F (or C) is a LOT of increase. It would likely result in a highly accelerated decrease of hot gas path parts life.

You could try it for a few minutes, and if the turbine survives, let us know how much extra power was produced. Just be careful not to exceed the rating of the load coupling or the generator.

You should know that when going from Base Load to Peak Load, the turbine inlet temperature doesn't increase by 100 deg F (or C). And Peak Load is only about 5% more than Base Load on a hot day on a Frame 7EA.

Do let us know what happens when you test your new turbine inlet temperature.

thank you for the reply

till now i don't have the ability to increase the TIT.

we are evaluating the available options to increase our machines capacity,and one option is that of peak firing. in one GE document there is a table for the machines that can be over fired. 7EA is proposed to have a more 100 F TIT, but they don't include the power gain from this increase.

i'm trying to evaluate that to make a comparison with other options like inlet cooling or water injection and also comparing that economically $/KW with the option of installing new units.

thanks again

as instructed by mod i post this quest about Siemens here . i have searched the forum and found a useful discussions about load control and TIT calculation for GE turbines.

for siemens is they applying the same rules?

i have curves for siemens V84. the curves show that the TOT turbine outlet temp (exhaust) is held constant till 50% of load. my question is
is the TIT constant for this range also or not?

in the same curve The turbine flow is not constant.
any idea