Autrol Transmitter in HART

G

Gvkamath

I am using an Autrol make smart DP Transmitter for pressure measurement and a Smar make HART communicator PALM for configuration. There is a zero error in the transmitter which can be seen on the HART communicator in the monitor mode the transmitter reads 20mmWC when actually there is no pressure applied. I guess this may be due to the position error, which can be corrected by carrying out a Zero Trim of the transmitter.

However the sensor Zero trim function is not available in the HART communicator for the AUtrol Transmitter. (it is available for SMAR make Transmitter).

I communicated the information to SMAR. They said that the .dll file of the AUtrol transmitter is not installed in the PALM communicator and they do not have it with them, since AUtrol has not shared the .dll file with them. I got in touch with Autrol and they said the they cannot give the .dll file and we will have to use only Autrol make HART communicator to be able to access all the HART functions for AUTROL transmitters including Sensor Zero Trim.

My question is - Is it true that only a HART communicator of particular make will be able to communicate and access all the HART functions of that make of Transmitters? What is the use of calling it as a "PROTOCOL" if it is device specific? Is there any way I can communicate and carry out Sensor Zero Trim of AUtrol transmitter without using Autorl make HART communicator which I do not have?

W
You appear to have misunderstood what the folks at SMAR told you. You need to get the DD file from Autrol and download it into the SMAR communicator.

There are basic commands which must be common, interoperable and interchangeable. There are advanced commands which may be different for each vendor. The basic protocol is just what you asked for. The advanced commands make it possible to use special features of one vendor's products.

So, first thing, talk to Autrol.

Good luck!

Walt Boyes, FInstMC
Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Life Fellow, International Society of Automation

Spitzer and Boyes LLC
837 Suncrest Drive
Aurora IL 60506
[email protected]
www.spitzerandboyes.com

The problem you have observed is due to the fact that Autrol is using the HART protocol without registering their instruments with the HART Communications Foundation (HCF.) SMAR is a member of the HCF and has registered their devices. Autrol has not. If Autrol were to submit their devices for testing that is required for HCF registration, they would not pass since they do not use only the registered Device Descriptions. You may have saved some money by purchasing Autrol devices instead of SMAR, but now you know that you must spend more to purchase their communicator, and burden your instrument technicians with carrying two HART communicators to the field. Read this website:
http://www.hartcomm.org/protocol/using/usinghart_choose.html

... and see the list of registered devices:
http://www.hartcommproduct.com/inventory2/index.php?action=list

Dick Caro
===============================================================
Richard H. Caro, CEO, CMC Associates
Certified Automation Professional (ISA)
Buy my books at the ISA Bookstore:
Wireless Networks for Industrial Automation;
Automation Network Selection;
Consumers Guide to Fieldbus Network Equipment for Process Control
===============================================================

M
ProComSol makes DevCom2000 - a HART communication product that runs on a PC. DevCom2000 uses and comes with the registered HART DD files. However, we also make it easy to add other HART DD files that are not registered with the HART Foundation such as the Autrol transmitter. You could download the Autrol DD files from the Autrol website and use DevCom2000 to configure the transmitter.

-----
Mike Fersky
[email protected]