EXCOM Configuration

S

Shahab Ahmad

Hello Everybody !!!

I am trying to establish communication with ABB MasterView 850/1 with IFIX by using ABB ASE Drivers (provided by proscada.com) but I am unable to establish the communication. Please help me over it. Is there ANYBODY who has done it or can be helpful to me in this issue. I shall be highly appreciate it

Regards.

Configuring the MV850 should be pretty simple. The manual you need is 3BSE003835 - EXCOM User guide. See section 2.2.1 You need an available serial port on a DSCA114 board. Configure the XCOM_1 or XCOM_2 database element depending on which serial port you are using. It's possible you *might* need to restart the Masterview, but I do not think this is the case.

After that, check the LED's on the fron of the DSCA114 to make sure you're getting some sort of activity on the interface line.

Also, I know it's possible to talk to the MV850 with EXCOM but I don't know anyone who's actually done this because there is such a limited amount of information available. EXCOM really only supports DI/DO/AI/AO/DAT elements - usually from a controller.

Rob
www[.]lymac.co.nz

S

Shahab Ahmad

Hey ROB !!!

Thanks for your reply. From your reply , I assume u have worked with it. I am trying to use drivers provided by ABB for EXCOM in IFIX (as they definitely support it.). Have you been through any of this earlier. How to configure that channel?? Looking forward to your response.

Thanks !!!

Yes, I've worked with EXCOM before but it was a very long time ago because this protocol is quite old.

If you follow the ABB user manual then this link should "just work". There's almost nothing to configure on the Masterview - basically the baud rate and parity settings. I'm not familiar with the iFIX side, but I suspect that there is also very little to configure there either.

Your question is very general. How much of your link is working ? What have you tried and how far have you got? What exactly are you trying to do?

Rob
www[.]lymac.co.nz

S

Shahab Ahmad

Dear Rob,

I highly appreciate your interest and generosity. Now I,m going to explain the whole scenario.

Its a cement plant where I am working right now.It has Cement Mill, Raw Mill , Kiln and Clinker Transport section being controlled via MP280. In Control room there are 8 panels, 2 of htem are MasterViews and 6 of them are MP280 for areas mentioned earlier. All the data is being monitored via MasterView. Network Number for all is 11 and Node Number stat from 2 and goes on. Node 2 is for MasterView1 and Node number 3 is for MasterView 2.

From MasterView 1 there is EXCOM port(on DSTC 120) already configured and it is being used by a PC having ABB trending software. The lights on DSCA 114 are blinking. When I plug out this cable and want to us in my laptop so that I can configure the data on iFIX. I have following queries from you.

1- I am using Net # 11, Right?

2- I am using Node #2 , Right?

3- Can I verify the communication using microsoft's Hyper Terminal? If yes, How?

4- When I plug in the cable in my Laptop, set the baud rate & parity, I don't see any blink on DSCA 114 card as they are blinking in their current state.

5- Will I be able to extract I/O information using only on masterview and node #2 or I will have to give separate node for every area and same network # i.e 11 (Like, if Kiln is Node 5 then to get AI,DI I will have to use node 5 or I will get it form node #2 (MasterView))?

I hope I have explained the whole situation and expecting guidance from You.

Thanking you in advance.
Shahab Ahmad

>1- I am using Net # 11, Right?
Yes

>2- I am using Node #2 , Right?
Yes, but see later for a description of node number usage

>3- Can I verify the communication using microsoft's Hyper Terminal? If yes, How?

See section 3.5 - Application Procedures - of the EXCOM Users guide. The Masterview is a slave. You need to send the message structure as described in the manual. Try translating a symbol. Note that this only verifies the MV850. But you know this works because it is talking to your existing trending package right?

>4- When I plug in the cable in my Laptop, set the baud rate & parity, I don't see any blink on DSCA 114 card as they are blinking in their current state. <

Sounds like the iFIX client isn't sending commands to the Masterview. The MV is a slave and will only respond to commands. Check your cable layout, and don't use a USB to Serial converter as they may not work.

>5- Will I be able to extract I/O information using only on masterview and node #2 or I will have to give separate node for every area and same network # i.e 11 (Like, if Kiln is Node 5 then to get AI,DI I will have to use node 5 or I will get it form node #2(MasterView))? <

You give the Network and Node numbers of the controller that you want to read data from - so you use Node 5 in your example. The Masterview is acting as a gateway to the other controllers. See section 3.5 for details of the message structure - but iFIX should handle all of this for you.

Rob