Remote Start for Diesel Firewater Pump

H

Hamid

Hello,

We are installing a diesel driven fire water pump for a project which starts automatically by a pressure switch. There is an electric starter with dual batteries and there is a secondary air driven start as well which has a local manual push button used when the electric starter fails.

There is another electric driven fire water pump which kicks in before the diesel which has a remote start push button from control room. The client is asking for a manual remote start for the diesel engine air start as well. Is it ok to have a remote start of the diesel engine other than the local manual start?

The argument is the diesel engine is supposed to start upon the pressure drop of the line using its electric starter which has dual batteries. Should the engine not start, I believe, an operator needs to go to the engine and inspect the cause, rather than just pressing the manual push button from control room. Maybe there is something wrong with the engine itself and needs to be looked into.

Please, could you share your ideas or industry standard references on this.

Regards,
Hamid

Hi Bob,

As I said to me if the diesel engine does not start using its electric starter which has a redundant battery set up then something serious might be wrong and an operator needs to check it.

The automatic start comes from a pressure switch which is connected to a safety system which is fail safe.

Regards,
Hamid

B

bob peterson

I would not disagree, but what is wrong with allowing the operator to start it remotely? It is not really up to you to decide how the operators will run the equipment.

--
Bob