Differential pressure transmitter with recorder

H

hans

I need to use a differential pressure transmitter which can record the data and we can read it using memory card or something like this uploading to PC easily.

Could anybody have such experience?

The era when a transmitter integrated into a recorder has been gone for 30 years. Nowadays there are differential pressure transmitters and there are recorders, but they are separate devices.

Get a standard 4-20mA output (not Fieldbus or Profibus) on a DP. The DP is 'loop powered' with a separate 24Vdc power supply. Most recorders offer an option for 'loop power'.

If you know the DP range (for example, 0-100 in w.c.) in advance,

- buy the DP preconfigured or

- have the vendor configure the range for you, or

- get a model with keypad that can enter the range so that you don't get mired in HART configuration tools and the associated learning curve to DP transmitter ranged properly.

I know Siemens DP's have a keypad that can range the DP.

I use Honeywell X series recorders (dumps data to a memory card, has a totalizer, too), but there are probably 20 manufacturers of industrial DP transmitters and a dozen recorder manufacturers.

> I need to use a differential pressure transmitter which can record the data
> and we can read it using memory card or something like this uploading to PC easily.

> Could anybody have such experience?

Your best bet is to separate the transmitter from the data logger. Search "data logger 4-20ma" in google shopping to find many options for digital logging. "data logger voltage" may give you even less expensive options.

BEC Controls Corp. at www.beccontrols.com makes differential transmitters for liquid or air that are affordable and configurable. Their site allows you to configure and purchase online as well (or call or email and speak to an engineer). You can select an output that works best for your data logger.

For battery operated transmitters, a voltage output is more energy efficient. A 4-20 ma transmitter generates at least 4 ma (depending on the signal level) at 24 vdc. A voltage output transmitter does not have to generate that current. To conserve even more energy, select a 0-100 mv output which is also available from BEC Controls. The main benefit of the 4-20 ma signal is the 5,000 foot range and the fact that it is not affected by noise like a voltage signal. See a simple description of how to wire a 4-20ma, 2 wire transmitter here: http://www.beccontrols.com/pdf/RULE OF THUMB FOR WIRING 4-20 loop.pdf

Reducing the supply voltage to the transmitter can also increase battery life and allow operation on a car battery. BEC Controls also can even configure supply voltages below 10 volts if needed for no extra charge.