ModScan Data Logging

A

Adam

I am looking to carry out some preliminary data logging of variables stored in a WiHart/Modbus gateway. I am using ModScan by Win-Tech.
http://www.win-tech.com/html/modscan32.htm

I can start logging with ModScan fine, and do just have the trial version at the moment. However I have noticed a flaw. I cannot access the data file while ModScan is logging to it (because the file is in use), and when I come to restart the logging after importing the data into excel, ModScan insists on creating a new file (or overwriting the current one).

Quite an easy user work around, but runs the risk of deleting data rather easily or ending up with loads of individual data files and means that you will always have a moment with no data logging unless you set up a second log to cover the logging down time.

Is it possible to:
Access the data (by another program e.g.Excel) whilst logging?
Restart logging in the same file as previous?
Access the data file at all whilst in use?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Excel used to have a file sharing feature where multiple users could open it. You had to enable it in the menus somewhere. I'm not sure if this helps you out with that program or not, but give it a try.

If you really want to log data and view it concurrently I'd look into getting your data into a database and pulling it out with a viewer (excel, access, whatever. ).

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Indeed I do need to use a proper database based system when we get that far!

Cheers for the insight.

> I cannot access the data file while ModScan is logging to it (because the file is in use) ...

This because you use Windows:

Solution 1
Use Linux

Solution 2
Use database system for logging.
Which is obviously overkill.