HMI and monitoring in Potato Chip Factory

I

iman

what kind of industrial networks can we use in HMI and monitoring systems in a potato chip factory?

please explain me. I really need this.

R
I think Ethernet would be all you need, most PLCs are capable, the hardware (hubs or splitters) and cable is cheap.

For HMIs I have had good results with RedLion Controls, their software is free and they are not tied to any one brand of PLC. They log historic data in simple csv format making it easy to import into spreadsheets etc.

If you want better advice perhaps list the brand of PLC you are dealing with.

Hope this helps
Roy

This is a question that has no single simple answer. So you need to provide some more details ...

How big is your plant?
Is it a new plant or is this an upgrade?
Do you already have PLC automation?
Do you already have an HMI?
Do you need to integrate with Drives, Conveyors, Motor Control Centers, Valves, Instruments etc.?

There's no real difference between a "potato chip" factory and any other type of industrial plant. Yes, you have specific product and hygiene requirements etc, but from an automation point of view you can probably use just about any solution available in the market place. Which of these is "best" for you is not a simple question.

Rob
www[.]lymac.co.nz

> There's no real difference between a "potato chip" factory and any other type of industrial plant. Yes, you have
> specific product and hygiene requirements etc, but from an automation point of view you can probably use just
> about any solution available in the market place. Which of these is "best" for you is not a simple question.

I mean which network protocol is suitable? When we are trying to run a production line, we are trying to have the least price and the maximum capability & efficiency. would you please give me some solutions to find out which network protocol is more suitable than the others with the HMI & Monitoring systems. notice that we are at the first steps and we don’t buy any network devices or PLCs.

W
I would suggest that you bring in a control system integrator and pay them to do an assessment of what you need. CSIA (www.controlsys.org) can help you find a qualified integrator. Because they do "best of breed" product selection, they can advise you which devices and networks and protocols to use. And even better, once they've done the assessment you can hire them to do the project and they'll take system responsibility for it.

Walt

Walt Boyes, FInstMC, Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Life Fellow, International Society of Automation
Editor in Chief, Control and ControlGlobal.com
[email protected]