"Big" Coriolis flow meter

K

Kirill St.

I am looking for large (diameter > 6 in) Coriolis flow meter and I can't find enough of them, while there is a big number of a small Coriolis flow meters.

What is the reason for this nonsense?

Thanks.

Big meters cost a lot to develop and require a company with the resources to identify and capture such markets as there are for large meters. Necessarily the high volume markets are in smaller sizes.
Most coriolis meters are sold in the 1-3" sizes or around that.
Large size coriolis meters cost a lot of money and compete with Ultrasonic meters.

Both give fiscal accuracy. It takes a company with a lot of marketing resources and a high profile to be successful in the niche markets where large size meters will be successful and even then it is a struggle. You won't see a lot of small "me too" companies prepared to take the risk of investing in the R&D, investing in the marketing and able to survive if it all goes pear shaped.

Smaller companies can compete for a slice of the larger market at small sizes and so long as they are content with their small slice, will survive but would lose their shirts in the markets for the large sizes. Or get taken over and closed down. There isn't room in the big meter niche market for too many manufacturers.

If you must have coriolis at large sizes and can afford them, be glad there are some suppliers. But don't expect everyone to make them and if the reason you hope for a wider range of manufacturers is for lower prices, forget it.

K
Is there is some engineering problem to manufacture "big" coriolis if I have a technology of a "small" one. Isn't it just a law of similarity (to enlarge the coriolis) in this case or is it something more?

Thanks

K
I didn't understand if there is some engineering problem to build a "big" Coriolis if some small company already have the technology of the "small" one.

I can take big motor and large pipe diameter and build a "big" Coriolis by using the similarity law...

Firstly you need to know if the various properties scale up as well. Do you want them to?
Do you want a meter that operates at 400Hz as a 2" meter to operate at the same frequency when it is a 12" meter?
How do you handle that?

Think too about the construction of the flow meter. It is never as simple as just scaling it up.
1/8" wall thickness at 2" becomes what thickness at 12"?
Does it matter?
How much energy required to vibrate a 2" meter and how much a 12"? What impact does this have on hazardous area applications?
What sort of bending machine will shape your pipes at 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" to 12"?
Big meters will require some special expensive tools. How are you going to get the money back?
Do you need a new calibration rig? A lot of difference suddenly expecting a rig that handled smaller meters, with an effort, to now be able to handle twice its previous maximum flow rate... or more.

It's no good grumbling about why so few people make big coriolis meters, it takes a lot of commitment to R&D, investment in tooling, machinery and so on.
If you look at the meter, look how it is made, look at the special castings required for the flow splitters and so on and actually ask how each one is made and what are the important design features of each, and you can get a certain way with this simply by thinking about it without any special knowledge of the meter, you may start to appreciate some of the difficulties.
I's start by taking a good look at how such a meter is manufactured, what components there are and then looking at each component and each feature and seeing what sort of list of questions I can think off. And bet that there are as many unasked questions as asked or more.

Oh, and while shifting a " meter around the assembly shop is no big problem, a 12" requires some thought. (Unless you want to scale up your workers too).

I remember when our company produced its first 3" meter and it seemed to be a major investment and a long time coming.
It came because there was a client who needed them in sufficient numbers to make the risk worth while.
The rest of the market was a gamble that some one else would want some too.

Look, if you spend £300,000 on one little project to modify an itsy bitsy 2kg insertion sensor for a client, he'd better want a lot of them or he is going to pay £300,000 plus for the first one he buys. So all these costs need to be amortised over a suitable number of units so you make a profit and can sell them at a marketable price.

In the economic climate of today not everyone is ready to invest a lot of money on speculation. Of all the projects I was able to push through at my last company, I was only allowed one project on speculation. Everything else depended on having at least one good client who needed it and a good market analysis and plan identifying other potential applications and possible buyers.
As it happened, my speculative project extremely well also.

R

Richard Lowrie

KROHNE, E&H and Emerson all manufacture Coriolis mass flow meters in sizes over 8 inches. These are mainly utilized for C.T. in the oil and gas industries.