Simple Modbus datalogger

C

Charlie Judson

I'm looking for a stand-alone data logger that will log the values of 7 Modbus registers every 15 minutes.

We use Koyo DL06 PLCs and all data is logged to a PC running DAQFactory. If the PC goes down the process cannot continue since a subset of the data is required for regulatory compliance.

With a simple logger reading the required registers continuously we could continue to run on an emergency basis without the functions of the PC.

Serial or Ethernet would be OK, logging to a card or USB stick or, if equipped with TCP/IP we could use FTP to retrieve data.

I am a bit surprised I've not been able to find something like this. We use HOBO dataloggers for temporary process monitoring and they cost about $200 (but won't handle Modbus). The devices I have found that will do what we need have so many other functions and capabilities on board that they are more costly than I would like. Just logging and a way to retrieve it is all we need.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Charlie Judson
Weeks Drilling & Pump Co.

There are free libraries that support modbus.
A C coder could build a dedicated application for this very fast.

It may be a good idea to employ somebody who is able to code programs or if somebody at your company could learn that.

D

Dixit Solanki

You can use Entry level HMI having USB logging functionality. So, just program the HMI to capture your MODBUS data & log over to USB/SD card. Call at our office for entire solution.

or for PC based application,
You can use the solution provide by www.parijat.com.
we are developing the different protocols in .NET platform to communicate multiple instruments at the same moment.

We have the solutions that can talk on MODBUS TCP protocol & MODBUS RTU/ASCII at same time for multiple devices using our device driver scanner application.

Thank You,
Dixit Solanki
www.parijat.com

Hello,

You can use mmnet01 module. It has the serial and ethernet ports. You can easy implement Modbus RTU or Modbus TCP/IP on this module.

Regards,
Andrzej
www.modbus.pl