Wiring a field device via dupline to a Profibus gateway

S

Subin

I am currently working on a project where the field signal is wired using Dupline to the HMI (VIPA Touch Panel).

Here is the issue.

The scope of the project is to have a field device wired via dupline to a profibus gateway (which acts as a slave). From the profibus gateway it gets converted to profibus and is read by two masters.
Master 1 is the DCS.
Master 2 is the VIPA HMI PANEL.

The VIPA HMI Panel has an inbuilt configuration menu that leaves me with two options. 1) MPI 2) Slave.

What does MPI mean? Does it really help me setup the VIPA hmi panel as a MAASTER?

S
MPI stands for Multi-Point Interface, which is a [primarily] Siemens protocol. It's not the same as Profibus. So if the "slave" option refers to Profibus, you won't be able to poll your gateway. Either the DCS can forward the data to the HMI acting as a slave or you'll need a bridge between the gateway and the HMI that acts as a master relative to both of those two, collecting data from the gateway, and writing it to the MMI.

S

Subin Cherian

Is there anyway (any product) that can help me set up a configuration in which the DCS Profibus card is the Master Class 1 and the HMI Panel acts as a Master Class 2 (that the HMI only reads and displays messages).

THANK YOU

P

Patrick Lansdorf

For one slave, there can only be one master.

The only solution that I can think of is that one of the masters will be connected to the slave and you could use a profibus slave-to-profibus slave gateway to share the data between the 2 masters.

my 2 cents

//PatrickL

P

Patrick Lansdorf

Ok, on Profibus there can only be one master for a slave. If you connect Master A to the slave and also connect a gateway (Profibus slave to Profibus slave).

In master A you read data from the slave and write that same data to the gateway.

On the other side of the gateway Master B is connected and since the gateway copies data from one side to the other, Master B can read the data from the slave.