Honeywell RC500 IO

M

MArk

I am trying to download to a Honeywell RC500 IO module using signet IO tool. This is throwing an error with the OEM code. I assume I need Honeywell's version of the tool but as I donot have a service agreement with them support amounted to them offering a price for a service agreement. Anyone else encountered this (and have a workaround)? I only need to download previous configs not do anything clever.

B

Bob Peterson

It is not unusual for a software supplier to expect to be paid for the software tools they provide, so this situation you face is not unusual at all. You would seem to have a choice of how to spend your money, but not whether you have to spend it or not.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

> It is not unusual for a software supplier to expect to be paid for the software tools they provide, so this
> situation you face is not unusual at all. You would seem to have a choice of how to spend your money, but not whether
> you have to spend it or not.

of course. but if you sell hardware, then tools to use the hardware (at least at a base level to allow configuration) should be available. I am not talking about being able to write complex functionality. I want to be able to download a backup file. The Sixnet IO tool would be an example, the base configuration is free to use because without it the hardware you have purchased is a paper weight.

Mark

I agree. but if you supply hardware, the basic configuration tools should be included. sixnet IO Tool is free in its basic state, so allows for download of backups, changing of IP Addresses. The software is essentially the same (I would go as far as say Honeywell probably license a version), but Honeywell allow no access to a free base configuration version that would at least allow you to replace a unit and down load a backup configuration. Without which your spares are just paper weights...

B

Bob Peterson

I think it is important to understand just what one is getting when one buys into a particular line of controls. Some of them have insanely high ongoing expenses. That is just the way they are. if you decide to use a particular product you are pretty much trapped into their support and software policies.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/