Master Slave Config Question

M

midwestgal

Hello,

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to reach synchronous rotation between a rotating platen and a workholder (shaped like a ring) that sits on top of the rotating platen. Think of a PVC tube section propped on top of a record player. The PVC tube (workholder) is held by a yoke arm with wheels that allows it to rotate but constrains it so it does not fly off the rotating platen underneath it.

Final goal is to have the rotational rpms of the workholder and platen to be within 0.5% of each other.

I have a Dart Controls MD50P and a Dayton 93 rpm gearmotor that presently rotate the workholder via a long pulley/belt system. This cannot hold rpms within 0.5%. I think it's because a pulley system is too loosey-goosey (maybe I'm wrong). I added belt tensioners to help to no avail.

The platen is driven directly on its axis by a very basic, simple KB Electronics controller.

I think I need to run a master slave configuration so the platen rpms are fed to the MD50P. But I don't think I can send the KB controller output? Do I have to buy another Dart Control controller? Should I give up the pulley and try to direct drive the workholder with a wheel?

Any advice you guys could offer would help. I think my requirement of matched rpms to within 0.5% may be too strict? But I need to get there and want to know if a master slave config is the only way to achieve this?

Thank you.